Sit Up's

michelles1985

Reaction score
Before I fell pregnant, I was on a diet and lost a stone and I was also doing sit ups to tone my tummy. I was just wondering what you ladies thought about continuing to do sit ups while pregnant just to try and keep toned and the muscles awake????? lol

Do you think I'll be ok to contine doing my sit ups? I was doing 250 a night but thought of just doing 100 a night. I haven't done any sit ups since I found out I was pregnant because of me bleeding. The bleeding has pretty much stopped now.

What do you all think?

xx

250 is impressive! what abs!!! I've been doing sit ups, I do a couple of sets of 30 then some pelvic floors exercises when I remember in the mornings. I think we are OK in tri1 but after that they don't advise it cos there can be too much pressure on the blood vessels and make you feel faint. I've been meaning to look for alternative exercises but haven't got round to it yet. Would love to hear any other advice!

Last edited:
I had an antenatal physio therapy session this week and she advised kneeling then sitting back on your legs, hold your hands on your lower tummy and breathe in relaxing all your tummy muscles then breathe out and as you do draw in your lower tummy muscles as far as you can and hold for a second or two, apparantly it really helps support your bump when it gets bigger and is like giving the baby a hug so it doesn't harm them and is really good for u and the baby! You can do the same exercise on your hands and knees, and can try lifting your arm and stretching it infront of you at the same time. She also said those exercise balls are great as just sitting on one whilst u watch tv tones ur tummy muscles safely just by trying to keeping your balance on it. Hope that helps a bit

Ooh thats fab, OH has got a ball so was thinking about starting to use it more after 12 weeks, will def do that now!

I really wouldnt do sit ups!

There are loads of exercises that are good for pregnancy, things you can do to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles and stuff, but sit ups definitely not one of them!

Thanks for all of your responses. It's given me some things to think about. I've got my first midwife appointment on Thursday so I will talk to her about some recommended exercises I could do and will let you all know what she says. xx

Michelles, last night I found a pilates for pregnancy app. If you have an iphone this might be worth it. It takes you through different pilates exercises adapted for each trimester either for a short (5min) or longer (20 min plus) workout.
I really enjoyed it last night and I'll get the hang of more of the exercises as I keep practising I'm sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back