Silly question about clothing for new born.............

clucky77

Reaction score
I have a lot to learn....

I am wanting to hit the sales but am wondering what type of clothing I should by for a new born. My dilemma is that some time might be spent in Australian winter (as we may have the baby there) and some time in Lonodn summer (when we return soon after).... sometimes there's not a lot of difference etween the two!

So, what do I buy? I know that when inside the Temp needs to be 18-22 degrees, so what do they wear?

Average temp in Aust (where I am from) during June ranges from 18-21 (average 18 °C), but during night can get down to 8-9°C.

Temp for London in June 12°C -20 °C - so not a huge difference to Aust winter.

So, should I be buying long sleeve/ short sleeve/thick/ thin... I have no idea!

i'd get some short sleeved vests (5) and long sleeve sleep suits (3). that was all we bought in newborn for logan born july 17th.

then in 0 to 3 months we got more of the above and a few dungaree sets. some of the 0 to 3 was a bit thicker as we went into autumn (just cos the summer last year was non existant) buut the rest was quite light.

a;so got some 1 tog sleeping bags.

sandi

As a general rule of thumb they wear what you wear plus one layer.

So if you are comfortably wearing a t-shirt they wear a short sleeved vest and a sleepsuit.

If you are too hot and to be honest would prefer not to be wearing a t-shirt, they wear a romper suit (it has short sleeves and short legs).

If you need a jumper on they would have short sleeved vest, sleepsuit and cardigan.

If you need a jacket, so do they. When you go in to shops and undo your jacket you undo there's too.

Hope this helps :)

If you get a 0-6 months 2.5 tog sleeping bag it'd be fine for here and Australia then. My OH is an Aussie and we have the same problem of opposite seasons when we go back there. If when you get back to the UK it gets warmer then you can get a 1 tog sleeping bag if needed.

Kalia is right, rule of thumb is what you are wearing plus one layer in the first month. If in Aussie winter I'd be looking to put on a vest/short sleeved body suit, top and trousers during the day. If going out, then a light jacket or some such if its 18-20C.

Inside temp is advised to be as near to 18C as possible. And the variation is from 16-20C iirc. 22C is considered a bit warm.

TBH the basics are all the same thickness etc. So it won't matter what you get there. Its the top layers of tops, trousers/skirts etc. In the first 3 months we saved on laundry and hassle and LO lived in sleepsuits day and night when at home. And often when out. Made things a lot easier. I'd just invest in bodysuits, say 7 short and 3 long sleeved. Then about 6 sleepsuits. Also get a cardi or jacket, a couple of pairs of easy to put on trousers and a couple of tops with long sleeves. That way you can layer as you want or head out with LO in a vest and sleepsuit and pop a cardi/jacket over the top.

Don't forget a lil blanket to go over baby when in pram also. And a hat. Don't leave hat on indoors though. Only for out the house as babies lose body heat via their head so can cause them to overheat if left on indoors.

I'd not go mad and buy masses for a small baby. We found sleepsuits and bodysuits to be enough the first few months. Most of the clothes we had (and that was only a few things) never really got worn at all. Waste of money we found.

You might like to think about how often you want to wash clothes. We had a lot more clothes than most people do because it suited us to wash less often. In the first 24 hours she vomited mucus over herself 6 times so we ran out of outfits :lol:

Beware though, lots of people will buy you clothes. OH comes from a small village so it felt like everyone there gave something!

Thanks for this! What's the differece between sleepsuit and a long sleeve body suit? Is it just that the legs are covered in sleepsuit or is it a different material too?

Thanks

It's just that the sleepsuit has legs and the long sleeved vest doesn't, it poppers over the nappy.

Also, you may find you want to dress your baby in clothes coloured for their gender (boys stuff or girls stuff). We had loads of neutral sleepsuits so I put DD in outfits each day as I wanted her to wear girl things. Now she has girly sleepsuits and is adorable in them and usually she wears them in the day with a vest underneath and an extra top on top or a dress and cardigan on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back