• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should I be taking her to the Docs - Took her

poppy160

Reaction score
Ella has a bad cold/chest, has had since NYE. She's very snotty and her chest is very full of phlegm (sp?) so much so, it rattles really badly. She's also got a cough and sometimes sounds like she's going to be sick when she tries to get the phlegm up. We've been using Calpol and Vicks on the feet and back but so far she hasn't improved. She's fine in herself, but restless at night.

Docs or not?

Phone NHS 24/Direct

They will advise. If it were me I'd take her to the docs as she may need an antibiotic.

Kim x x x x

Yes i would to be reassured. It will probs just be a cold but if it was something like bronchilitus the doctor needs to advise you. Hope your little one gets better soon. :hug:

Thank you ladies :) I will take her to the Doctors in the morning, although I have a feeling they will all be booked up :roll: otherwise we'll be going to the Walk-In.

It depends if she's struggling to breathe. I took one of mine to the docs at the same age with similar symptoms and she said that young children with chest infections tend to get a 'dip' in their chest when they breathe, cos it's a struggle for them. That's when they need antibiotics. Otherwise, there's not a lot they can do as they obviously won't medicate a cold.

If it is just a bad cold, then keep up with the vicks. I've always found a couple drops of karvol on the sheet is good too, as well as slightly raising her head at night by putting blankets under the mattress or tilting the cot slightly. I hate using nasal drops but these may work for you. Obviously if she has other symptoms, such as a temperature etc then she may well have an infection that needs medical attention.

Hope she feels better soon

Becky has been the same for almost 3 weeks now, sounds almost identical. After a week I called NHS 24 about it because the next day was Christmas eve and the last day before the doc closed for a week. Because she didn't have a temperature and wasn't struggling to breathe they said it was probably viral.

When it didn't get any better (she has probably been properly sick while coughing about 6 times in the last fortnight) we took her to the doc last Monday who checked her chest and said her lungs were clear so no infection there. Will probably go back again if she's still coughing into the week.

Better to get her checked than not hun :hug:

Thanks girls, I definately will get her checked. It's so hard to tell though, because she hasn't got the temp and seems fine (as long as she's moving around), it's just the rattle in her chest which is so awful. When I hear it, it makes me want to cough. I blame the in-laws, they fuss so much when she's ill, when she had a virus a few months back they were telling me to take her to A&E when it turned out to be fine..they make me so paranoid :wall:

Turns out she has a chest infection and a throat infection..I'm so rubbish, why didn't my motherly instinct kick in :wall:

Poor Ella :(

Don't beat yourself up Charlotte :hug: If she was fine in herself, you were doing all the right things :) I would have done exactly the same as you.

I hope she gets well soon :hug:

poppy160 said:
Turns out she has a chest infection and a throat infection..I'm so rubbish, why didn't my motherly instinct kick in :wall:

It did! You took her didn't you - you were concerned enough to ask us hun :hug: :hug:

Kim x x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back