Should I be getting taxed?

moss

Reaction score
I'm a student and I'm getting taxed. I'm confused about whether or not this should be happening, though! I want my NI contributions to be high so I can qualify for the highest MA, but I don't want to be taxed! Grr!

Everyone has to pay tax if they earn above the personal allowance for income tax which in the 2008-2009 year is £5435. If you earn over that amount you will have to pay tax on any earnings above that threshold. If you are paying NI contributions then it is likely you earn above the personal allowance for income tax.

I wasn't sure and had to check but SMP appears to be a taxable benefit although MA isn't taxable. Therefore if you earn under £5435 between April 08 and when you start receiving MA you can claim back any tax paid from your local HM Revenue and Customs office. You may be charged tax in your wages if your projected yearly salary exceeds the personal allowance.

I remember from working at HMRC students always used to ring up saying that they'd be told that as students they were exempt from paying tax. No idea where that rumour came from but it is false.

Thanks. I definitely earn less than that! I am very part-time. Ha... So I guess I will have to file for a refund. I've never done that before and have no idea how to go about it!

I guess I will be going to Citizens Advice for a few things once I've stopped working... two weeks before I'm due. :/

I don't think they will refund you until you actually stop working. When you do, you should receive a P45 as I think your MA is not paid via your employer. Just send parts 2 and 3 of the P45 into your local tax office, you keep parts 1a and 1, together with a P50 form http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/fagp50.shtml which you can download and print here. Make sure you send in the originals or they won't refund you. They normally turn refunds around in 15 working days so hopefully you'll get a cheque just after your bubs is born :D

I would check with your work that they are going to complete a P45 form for you and impress upon them that you would appreciate it asap after your last day in order to file for your refund :)

I'll do that. Thanks for your help! :D

when iwas a student i just paid the tax anyway & then a couple of years alter ( i know that sounds a long time but they werent taking too much tax anyway), i got a cheque for a rebate all those couple of pounds had added up to a nice sum :D

I'm getting something like £20 a week or more, and I am not going over my allowance, so I guess I will be getting a nice refund... and needing it! :D I wish we could charge them interest the way they would do to us!

Ooh correction! More like £30 or more a week! Yay! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back