• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

She is not eating solids very well at mo... help please!

Beatlesfan

Reaction score
She used to eat soooo much, now she is refusing food. She will usually have 4-5 oz milk around 7am, then 9am ish she will eat some cereal. about 8 little spoonfuls, and water. At 10.30 we offer her rice cakes and water which she sometimes eats. only one little one. then sleep. then 12 ish we have been offering her a slice of bread and butter, some cubes of cheese, banana , yoghurt and water. she maybe has 4-5 little bits of toast, few cubes of cheese and some yohurt. banana is hit and miss.
2ish she has 6oz milk and usually drains it. then sleeps. we sometimes offer her the rest of her milk on waking if she hasn't finished it. 5ish is tea time, we have been offering her cooked food, like we used to (home cooked spag bol, cottage pie, fish pie etc.) and she just refused it. Shakes her head, spits it out, takes it out with her fingers, goes "pppfffhutt" and chucks it on floor. we offer more toast and sometimes she takes this. Again we offer some fruit and/or pudding (usually organic yoghurt type thing).

7pm, she has a bottle and goes to bed. 6oz, usally has between 3-4oz. We have been topping her up with a bottle at 10.30pm to keep her calories intake up. she wakes around 7am usually and is desperate for milk.

I have read it's normal for 1 year olds to become fussier etc. and because they are more independent this can affect their eating. I think she doesn't like being strapped in for eating as she is very active. She sometimes arches her back when we try to put her in despite singing etc to distract her. I tried to feed her toast today while she was walking around (out of curiosity!) and she took it no problem and I though ooooohhhh nooooo I am not starting that.

When she was ill recently (cold, tummy bug then another cold) we got into the habit of playing Signing DVD during food times to get her to eat and keep her distracted. Since stopping this it has got worse. I am keen to try some other strategies... any tried and tested?

I said to OH we should stick to our guns about no DVD for meal times and make sure she sits in chair to eat. 15 mins max. Anything she doesn't eat after that, well, she will be hungry! If she indicates or appears to want food in between, and goes to grab if offered, back in the chair.... what do you think? I play her action rhymes CD while she eats now which seems to keep her amused. :cheer:

We have tried having her eat with us for lunchtimes (we eat later than 5 on week night so can't do dinner) but she just points at what we have on our plates. When we have offered it she spits it out. :think: :think:

Do we need to be just offering lots of different foods (finger foods mainly) as well as spoon and bowl (we do this but she chucks it after a while...she doesn't use it to feed herself) and hope for best? Or should we try other things? We are trying hard not to stress about it.... it's hard when she doesn't eat..we are probably anxious over nothing. I don't think she has lost weight, she is lean, esp. since starting walking, but she has a bit of meat on her IYKWIM. :D

Thanks for reading this far! x

look forward to hearing your replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briguebbon
Back