• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Selling on ebay

moss

Reaction score
I don't have much experience with ebay. The one time I really tried was with a flute. I had to have the reserve pretty high because it is a valuable one, but it didn't sell so I ended up losing something like £20 or £30 in ebay fees with nothing to show for it. That put me off of using it, but I really could do with a clear-out and to make some extra cash. I'm scared of losing more than I make again, though!

Any tips on how to do it right this time? (I followed all of their tips like answering questions, putting in lots of detail and clear photos)

Unfortunatley my ebay addiction only stretches as far as buying :lol: so I'm not much help on selling tips sorry. I'll be interetsed to see what people say though, I could do with some money to fund my spending habit.

Alex xxx

If you're selling and just having a clear out i would recommend making a normal 7 day auction, ensure you put the item in the right catagories (it'll guarentee people can find it)
I put my listing title in capitals and use lots of exclamation marks, try and put as much detail in the title as possible, like the brand colour and condition, it'll grab attention.
For you're description i'd making it large writting and i always use a bright but readable colour, really "big up" the item but dont lie, so if you're selling jewellry for example you might go on about how beautiful and delicate the item is, well made and put a good description in, it doesnt have to be long though, and i usually add a little bit at the end like "great for a birthday or special gift, happy bidding"
Id also make sure you fill out all the little drop down stuff as well as again it makes it so much easier for buyers and TBH i'm out off if i cannot see the condition and stuff from the top bit.
Make sure you add a picture, and the picture shows the item clearly, and i would also say its worth paying the extra 10/15p for a gallery pic, the insertion fee is only 25p over all so i dont find my ebay fee's are too big.
Try and make you're postage cost as accurate as possible but also factor in packaging costs. I always offer second class postage too and it doesnt cost extra to offer it.

Most importantly dont start you're off with a high openning bid!! My friend simply cannot get her head around this and starts them at what she wants for it, if it's a high priced item use the reserve feature.

I recently put some perfume on, started bidding at £5 and it went for £30, for most other things i start at 99p and i found selling tongue bars they didnt sell when i started it at 99p but sold for £5 when i started it at 1p.

If you're only selling to make a little bit of extra cash and the items arnt valuable i'd start low cos people WILL bid it up.

anyway, thats my massive long post about ebay lol!!! Hope it helps.

I think Clares really summed it up but I will just add my tip, if you're selling something like clothes its sometimes easier to sell it as a bundle of clothes in size xx for example as it will be easier and lose you less than lots of seperate items if doesnt sell, pick up on the best brands in the description (eg. bundle of tops size xx incl. river island, next) so that they come up in more searches. Good luck!xx

I've found selling with a reserve puts the listing fee up.

If you have any questions the best place to find answers is the ebay forum in the community section. They can be quite sarcastic on there at times :roll: but just ignore it and you will usually get your question answered in a couple of minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back