• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Second hand cot?

luci

Reaction score
I went to a nearly new sale yesterday, and came home with pretty much everything we need for bumpy :D Got a mamas and papas highchair that reclines (and goes in the washing machine!!) for £10. A beautiful mamas and papas pram with carry cot, car seat, rain cover and cosy toes for £60, a freedom sling for £4, looooads of baby clothes for £3, a (brand new) breast pump for £5, some bottles (brand new) for £1.50 (saw the same in mothercare for way, way more) A steriliser for £1.50, and a baby bath and car mirror for £2.50 :D
I also have a moses basket that my in laws bought us :)

The only thing we need to get now, is a cot. Well, we saw a pretty much brand new cot at the sale for £50. The mattress was brand new, still in the plastic wrapping. My younger brother has offered to buy it for my OH and I for christmas. Should I take him up on it? Mothercare has new cots for about the same price, but obv it wont come with a mattress.
Just not sure if a cot is something we should buy new?

As long as the matress is new its fine!! Xxx

Well done on those bargains! I had a 2nd hand cot with my daughter and I will again this time. They always recommend a new mattress though, Babies r us do them at a pretty reasonable price.

Am looking on Babies r us now at mattresses. How on earth do you choose a mattress?? There are so, so many to choose from!! All different types, and I am completely lost :(

To be honest I went for the basic one that was the right size for the cot. I only had a cot rather than a cot bed so that helped with costs too. It's confusing though isn't it!

This is only a cot too, not a cot bed, although I have been looking on the babies r us website and fallen in love with a few cotbeds on there! Would I have to get the mattress from mothercare as its a mothercare cot? Or are they pretty size universal? Its a minefield out there!!

Nothing wrong with second hand. You got some great bargains! They recommend new mattresses, I suppose because of wetting the bed and stuff. Idk.

I think if you know what cot it is, it should say on the site what mattress size it takes hun?

x

I think they're universal. I just measured the inside of the cot and bought the mattress that fitted!

A second hand cot is fine. Just need a new matress. Most are a simialr size but if you look online they will tell you what size matress or you can wait until you have one and measure it. :)
We had a good matress so it will last as we have brought a cot bed. x

This is why I struggle to buy stuff - all the choice makes me panic!! lol. We have a 2nd hand cot but need a mattress - I was actually pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the John Lewis cot mattresses were. Got it into my head they are a mega expensive shop but there were a few things on there that were really good prices.

Can I ask, was it an NCT nearly new sale?? Our next one round here isn't for another few weeks but I've heard they are worth hanging on for.

Can I ask, was it an NCT nearly new sale?? Our next one round here isn't for another few weeks but I've heard they are worth hanging on for.

I dont think it was NCT, I think it was organised by the church, to raise money for their preschool group. I have heard NCT sales are amazing though! How do you find out when and where they are?

They advertise on the NCT website. And you don't have to be a member to go to them, although I think members get priority entrance for half an hour before others. But it's quite expensive to join - about £48 for the year I think.

Nothing wrong with second hand n will save ur pennies for other things nappies milk etc! X

We got our cot and mattress from john lewis. pleasantly surprised too at prices :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back