• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

rustic slate or travertine tiles??? HELP!

melhoney

Reaction score
Girls,
the toilets in my cloakroom dowstairs are broken, and we are redoing the room completely (thanks God for that!!)
Now, I always wanted to redecorate the room nicely, and I love natural stones and stuff.
I had set my mind up for putting rustic slates on the floor, middle sized slate mosaic on the boxing and little slate mosaic on the splash back.
All was good...BUT

Yesterday, I went back to the tile shop because I wanted to check what kind of paint colour and grout colour would be nice with it, and basically could not really decide (grey probably) so the guy there (very nice) showed me the travertine tiles (same arramgements as above, with bigger and smaller mosaic tiles). It looked really nice and I liked it AS WELL!!!!!!!!!! :doh: :think: :doh: :think: :doh:
I made my budget and calculations, and price wise, both options are ok, but I AM STUCK!!!!!!! WHICH ONE SHOULD I USE???
With the travertine, white toilets suites look good as it's beige/honey colour. and easy to choose a wall paint and grout colour.
With slate, it looks really nice and rustic, and it was my first love, but paint colour is difficult to choose and white toilet suites don't look particularly great! but it's ok!!!
OH, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!
here are 2 links for you to see what I am talking about!

http://www.theslatecompany.net/Flooring ... %20new.htm
(the rustic multicolour)

http://www.theslatecompany.net/slate%20 ... %20new.htm
(the travertine pics)

WHat would you choose? and if you have slates in your house, could you post a picture with the colour of the wall, please!
Thanks girls! (it keeps me awake, that's how bad it is!!! :shock: )
Mel xx

I love slate, but my choice would be the black slate. We used it in our previous home in Scotland and it was stunning!

I voted slate - enjoy your little project - don't let it stress you too much! :angel:

Emilia xx

i like the rustic multicolour travertine tiles. we have that kind of thing in our kitchen in big not mosaic
sorry cant post pics (no digital camera)
luv b x

no problem, bubble!

sorry is it travertine you have or rustic multicoloured slate? and what is the colour of your wall then?
Sorry , this thing is really getting me confused! :wall:
Mel xx

Come on girls!!! it's 50/50!!! how is this supposed to help me choose! Lol!!! :D

I really like both, can't help changing my mind, it's horrible, never was like this before! is this motherhood, hormones or what!!!! :wall: :wall:
I think I need samples of both and put them on the floor, and then, I might be able to make a decision!!!
grrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Mel xx

Eeeek! How weird is this?! :shock:

OH and I went through the exact same thing for our kitchen. We chose the rustic slate. Oh boy! Big mistake! Tiler came. Laid first couple of rows. Disaster! Rustic slate chips away layers and continue to do so. They are seriously uneven regardless of what you may see at the showroom. Our tiler said they are only good for outside.

The tiler took us on a trip to see a couple of house with trevatine marble. Oh wow! Amazing. We sent all the slate back and got the marble. Oh it's beautiful. Can't find a pic of it tho.

Don't make the same mistake we did! :lol:

On the slate front, we have pure black slate in the bathroom and that is gorgeous. Just don't go for rustic. Here's a pic of the bathroom.

PICT1676.jpg

sorry just read my post :lol: sound like a load of rubbish sorry to confuse you

we have the travertine tiles and the wall is pale green :D looks gr8

luv braiana x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member