ridiculous paternity!

Crimson92

Reaction score
My OH said to his work about paternity, and they said that he has to have the two weeks off from my due date, he has no choice! and if I am late, he is to go back to work after the two weeks (really no choice what so ever) and when I am in labour finally, they will give him a week holiday! He will just be booking more holidays if thats the case, bloody ridiculous, and I know for a fact because of this I will be late now! grr!

That doesn't sound right Hun - can they do that? x

That's not right at all legally they cannot tell him when he can his Leave and it should Start the day you have the baby not before then!

By law they cannot dictate as to when he takes paternity leave.
It begins once the baby is born. Not before.
If his manager is being difficult, speak to the man above the manager or go to citizens advice beaura just to be sure n get advice

My OH said to his work about paternity, and they said that he has to have the two weeks off from my due date, he has no choice! and if I am late, he is to go back to work after the two weeks (really no choice what so ever) and when I am in labour finally, they will give him a week holiday! He will just be booking more holidays if thats the case, bloody ridiculous, and I know for a fact because of this I will be late now! grr!

That is against the law (my Mum is an employment lawyer)

Your OH has to inform them of your due date so that they are aware of times when he could possibly not be in work (2 weeks before or 2 weeks after) He is able to take paternity leave at any point upto 3 months after the babies work.

You need to call ACAS - search on google. They will advise you on what steps to take to ensure your OH is treated fairly.

Good luck x x x

On the form I gave OH to hand in there was a box where you could either specify the dates he wanted to be off or put a tick in a box saying that it would start the day you have the baby. They can't force him to take certain dates.

What if you were overdue by 2weeks!! As the others have said, it's just not right. Everyone I know just takes it when the baby is coming/comes.

A simple way to give notice is to fill in a 'self-certificate'. You can download form SC3 'Becoming a parent', which works as a self-certificate.
Your Ordinary Paternity Leave can start on any day of the week (but not before the baby is born). It has to finish within 56 days of the baby's birth. If the baby is born before the week it was due, it must finish within 56 days of the first day of that week. You can start Ordinary Paternity Leave after a period of parental leave has ended.

Just read this on the direct.gov website x

hope u manage to get it sorted, his work are just being jobs worths and making up the rules to suit themselves sounds like xx

Thanks girls, going to tell OH about it, knew something shouldn't be right, its ridiculous ! its cause the hotel is busy as its summer they dont want to be waiting around for me to go into labour so they are telling him he has to take it at this time so they can fill in for him in advance, but as you say if that means his paternity isn't right, it isn't right, so I will be sorting this ! x

Hi girls..I've just popped in from tri2..I had a question..

my hubbys work are giving him 2 weeks paternity leave fully paid. but they have said he has to take it all at once. Now, I know if you are on statutory you can split the 2 weeks and take a week, then go back to work, then take another week. Are companies (he works for the government) allowed to specify things like this is they are giving you above statutory?

:) x

Hi girls..I've just popped in from tri2..I had a question..

my hubbys work are giving him 2 weeks paternity leave fully paid. but they have said he has to take it all at once. Now, I know if you are on statutory you can split the 2 weeks and take a week, then go back to work, then take another week. Are companies (he works for the government) allowed to specify things like this is they are giving you above statutory?

:) x

He has to take it all at once hun, when working in the public sector it's down to the discretion of the employer. Best thing to do is get hubby to review his contract, if it says any different then he can contest it.

Hi, my OH was told by his work he can take his paternity leave anytime so long as he'd used it before LO was 6 months. He didn't have to take it all at once and split it and had week off from when I went into labour and is taking another week end of feb. Like your said it sounds like your OH boss is just being difficult!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back