upset

mummy2b19

Reaction score
My OH had organised with his employer that he would be saving up his holidays from last year to take when the baby arrives rather than taking paternity leave so he will be on a full wage. He is a chef and on salary. The hotel shuts for a month in January and he is off for a month with full pay (all salary staff work like this and it was explained to him when he took the job). In his contract it says he is entitled to 5 weeks holiday in which he chooses 3 weeks and 2 weeks are allocated by the manager (these 2 weeks were allocated one at the beging of December and one last week. He went into work to speak to the manager about if he needs to give a set date to start his 3 weeks holiday as obviously we dont know when she will arrive. The manager told him he has no holidays left they were allocated to him in January. But in his contract it says the last 3 weeks are for him to decide when to take. So OH said I will take 2 weeks paternity then she told him he's not entitled to it as he hasn't been there a year. We have checked online and he is entitled to it! She said she would ring head office and check, that was 3 days ago and now the managers husband is in hospital and she is taking time off work, this baby could come at any time. Her husband that is in hospital is the head chef this means my OH is in charge of the kitchen and if I have the baby there is only two other chefs and they can't be left on there own as they don't know what they are doing. The head chef should not be allowed to work he is constantly off sick he has skin cancer, fluid around his heart, he needs some sort of surgury on his eyes he has had a kidney transplant and even though he isn't allowed to drink or smoke he does both in excessive amounts. He often collapses while at work but because he is the managers husband he's allowed to do what he wants while my OH takes all the shit. At this rate my OH isn't going to get to spend any time with this baby and its really upsetting him. No need to reply just a rant really x

Oh that's terrible... I know it sounds hard, but your rights are your rights. Your OH is entitled to paternity leave and the employer has no option but to honour that. The fact the head chef is unwell is very unfortunate, but that really is their problem and not yours. You and your OH might have to be a bit selfish here and put yourselves first... I'm sure there are agencies where bank staff chefs can be brought in to run a kitchen for a few weeks - that maybe what the employer might need to consider doing.
Majestic sure your OH sticks to his guns and insists on getting the paternity leave he I s entitled to by law. Good luck... Xx

Your OH is entitled to paternity leave and the arrangement of cover should have been sorted, I would email and telephone HR of this company and explain as paternity leave should have been applied for weeks ago but I think your OH has mitigating circs. Big hugs xxxxx

I was thinking of ringing head office myself, this women is a complete bitch I used to work there and was off for 2 months with stress because she is such a bully! I don't wantbto make things worse for him. I don't need this if its not sorted by Monday I will ring head office. I don't need this x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back