Return to sport

Nicky_Jones

Reaction score
How quickly after giving birth am I likely to feel up to returning to the gym to start to get some fitness back? I stopped going a few weeks ago and I am due on the 2nd August?

Also I am hoping to go skiing next January. Are their any (physical) reasons why I won't be able to?

Thanks

hi hun - i think it all depends on your birth.

if you hava natural birth with no complications then really you just need to start gradually and work your way back to the level of fitness you want in your own time. i was going for short walks a week after i had alex and you know when you've over done it. just build it up from there.

with the skiing again if you have natural, fine birth then i cant see why not. I'd have been more than fine to ski after 5 months ( had 2nd degree tear but healed really well).

if you end up with a c section though it may well be a very different story for both. maybe someone with experience of c sections could help there?
may well all depend on how you heal etc.

where are you skiing in Jan - i'm going then too - Austria for us.

have you been before? been a few years since i last went what with baby and everything! i love it though - cant wait!

xx

not a mum yet but a few friends and family members have told me they didn't feel up to excercising for quite a few weeks after... supose it depends on what type of birth you have (stitches, c-section), how you feel mentally after the birth and how eager you are to get back into those pre pregnancy jeans... i'd love to say i'll be working out within a week but i'm not going to push myself too hard... just bought 2 new work out DVDs... might just watch them for the first few weeks... i supose walking with our prams is the best excercise for a while...

x

Thanks for the replies. I am hoping to go to Morzine in France. Mainly because it was the only place I could find which had a hotel with a nursery which would take a child under 6months, as she should hopefully be 5.5months at that point. We have been quite a few times before (I love Austria - I prefer it to France), but the last time I went, Dec 2004 I had a little accident and ruptured my ACL, I didn't get the reconstructive surgery done until 31st May 2005 so I didn't get to ski this year as by the time I was 9 months post-op, I was recommended not to go skiing due to being pregnant.

Which resort are you going to?

Its called Khutai - quite a little place i think. my parents are taking the whole family 8 adults and 5 kids! they have been going there for years and love it.

we've been to Westerndorf in Austria before. also went to Lapland (finnish part) one year - that was fab. no real big mountines but reasonable runs for all levels and good lifts etc. was freezing though! was a real winter wonder land and saw the northern lights too

thankfully with all of us going we are going to take it in turns with looking after the kids.
3 of them will probably be in kiddie ski school so its just alex and my neice to take care of.

i reckon you can be back in the gym in a month at most if all goes well.

i am dreading getting fit for our trip - let things go a little :wink:

xxx

is that the knee ligament - mum did that skiing a few years ago. she had the op while out there though. she's been back at least twice since and has been fine - she uses snow blades now and prefers them with her knee - think they dont twist the legs as much if you fall.

xxxx

Thats the one. Even if I saw somebody out there (I didn't at it was the last run down on the last day), I went to see my GP the day after. It took nearly 3 months to get it fully diagnosed - unlike Michael Owen who got his MRI scan the next day, favoritism or what :) . Saying that they won't operate until the swelling is fully down and you have full ROM back which took 3-4 months from the injury anyway. I need to make sure that I get really good muscle strength back in my quads and hamstrings before I even consider skiing which will take me a bit of time esp as I wasn't fully fit before becoming pregnant (as I had to build back up after the surgery).

they say not to do any really hard excersie till you have had your 6 week check, i asked my midwife and she said i could do light excerse suitable for pre pregancy the excerses you can get in some pregancy books

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back