Remembering grandparents

beanie

Reaction score
I know that you are a creative bunch so am hoping that you can help. I was doing Seren's baby book yesterday and was filling in her family tree. As most of you know both my parents died. It is really important for me that Seren knows about her granny and grandpa but I don't want to be morbid about it. I already know what I am going to say to her, that they are now stars in the sky that are watching over her, and as I already have pictures of them both in the house she will know what they look like but I also want her to have an idea of what they were like. Can anyone give me some suggestions how I can do this?

not really sure hun but i just wanted to say that it is loverly hun aand i would like to do summit like that for Brayds great nan

Could you make a collection of things - music they liked, hobbies they had, food they enjoyed, favourite jokes, your fav memories etc and put them in a box for her to go through as she grows up?

LouisecH said:
Could you make a collection of things - music they liked, hobbies they had, food they enjoyed, favourite jokes, your fav memories etc and put them in a box for her to go through as she grows up?

thats a really good idea well done u :clap:

LouisecH said:

yeah, I remember what music they liked and I like the idea of fave memories as I could get my sister to help. The only thing is we don't really know much about them as people if you understand what I mean...when mum died we were at the stage where she was mum to us, whereas I knew my dad more as a person as I was older. Will get in touch with sis and see if she wants to help. Thanks Louise

I feel for you Beanie :hug: as I am going to find it hard with only losing my dad. She's been to the cemetary with me twice to take up some nice bright flowers, I don't want her to find it a scary place.
I can't really remember that much about my dad and he died when I was 12. I do remember that he listened to a lot of Chris Rea (I think that's what he's called) but 'The Road to Hell' isn't going to be an appropriate song for Ella to remember him by....
I have some pics of him which I can show her, but that's it.

I hope you can come up with something nice, a memory box sounds great :) :hug:

my great nan i was really close to her she died wen i was 10 is buried at the church where i had Braydon christened, after he was christening we went and stod by her grave for like 30 mins and it was so special

my due date is a day before the date my grandma died :( but i never new my grandma but i wish i did :(

I think Louise's idea is brilliant, I was about to suggest much the same thing. My mother died almost six years ago now, and I think the best thing we can do is to make sure that she is still alive in our hearts too - to talk about her often, to have her picture around the place, to show how much I love her and miss her so much.

However, I get really sad when I think of my Mom and I don't want that to transmit. It occurred to me today - a rather morbid thought I'm afraid, that Naomi will almost certainly see me laid out in my coffin the way we saw my Mom and I wanted to spare her that sight and that memory if I could. I only remember my Mom sick and dying now, and it's terrible because she was a really vibrant, loving, caring person.

I understand your dilemma beanie. *HUG* I didn't know you had lost your parents. Maybe some day we can talk about it.

Sue

what about like a picture storybook? then u can place some favourites etc in it, and change it(the story that is) everytime the LO wants 2 look at it :D

Tiny Sue said:
However, I get really sad when I think of my Mom and I don't want that to transmit. It occurred to me today - a rather morbid thought I'm afraid, that Naomi will almost certainly see me laid out in my coffin the way we saw my Mom and I wanted to spare her that sight and that memory if I could. I only remember my Mom sick and dying now, and it's terrible because she was a really vibrant, loving, caring person.

thats exactly my issue Sue. I tried to take Seren to the cemetry but I get panicky when I go up there and she picked up on it.I don't really remember my mum apart from when she was ill, but I have more memories of my dad. It wasn't until a family friend said to me "oh you were such a splasher when you had a bath" that I realised I have no idea what I was like as a baby. OH can ask his mum whether he did such and such as a baby but I don't have that.

Hev - I was due to be induced with Seren on the 28th Dec, my dads birthday was the 29th so I thought she would make an appearance then but she came out 27th. We came home on the anniversary of my gran's death so it was a very emotional time.

Yvanne, that is a cool idea. Seremn loves looking at photos.

Sorry for sounding so :( . Just miss them so much and it hurts that they never met Seren.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: I'm sorry Beanie :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: I wish Ella got to meet my dad too, he was such a giant! I can't imagine losing both parents :hug:

Cheers Kina :hug: Your dad sounds like he was an amazing man. I don't believe in ghosts or anyhting like that but sometimes when I am feeding Seren upstairs she is looking behind me and smiling, talking and holding out her hands to "something". It sounds daft but I like to think its my parents.

My husband's dad was killed when he was 4 and we go up to the grave twice a year for the anniversary of his death and for his birthday. We take Aaron with us with flowers but it's not a sad day really it's been nearly 20 years since it happened so it's not so upsetting for my husband. I'm glad it's that way because it's nice to take Aaron but it would be horrible for him if everyone was crying when he's too young to understand why. We like to take him a well so his grandad can see him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zain mansoor
Back