Really Confused-Breastfeeding question!

babyroo

Reaction score
Hooray! I was finally able to let jessica onto my right breast after a huge gash and hole in my nipple finally healed last week.
How do you know when to change breasts during a feed? I have read so many different things from after 10-15mins to when its empty. How do you tell when it's completely empty?
Also Jessica is on breasts for hours on and off sometimes how can you tell if she's doing it for comfort? Could it be that she is not latched on properly ? I have asked if she was latched on properly to 4 healthcare professionals and they all said it seems fine but I'm not confident about it. It does'nt hurt at all when she is feeding.
Thank you ladies for all your help, you are all ace! :hug:

The fact its not hurting you whe she feeds tells me that your latch is perfect. So pleased your boob is better :)

As for swopping boobs, I breastfed for 20months and still don't know. What I usedto do was feed Seren on one until her sucking chaged (usually around 30 mins) showing me she'd had enough and then I'd offer her the second one to see if she wanted it. This way I knew she was getting all the hind milk. Seren was also a comfort sucker, I usedto just let her get on with it as I found it was great to boost my milk supply. It could be comfort, it could even be a growth spurt.If you are happy to, let her feed when she wants.

I used to feed Ellie with the first breast until she came off herself, burp her, and then offer her the second breast. When she was younger she generally only took the second breast when she was going through growth spurts. In the first few days feeding her took anything from 30mins - 1hr. After a few weeks it took 20mins, then after while it went down to 10mins. However she never comfort fed (I think that was because my breast were rather enthusiastic in giving her milk and she also sucked her hand then thumb)

*I think* Ryan comes off himself when he's done with one side, and when you press it it feels way squidgier than the other side. I try and put him back on that side and he gets irritated... so I burp him and give him the other side and then feed him til the same thing happens or he falls asleep. He's also into comfort sucking. You can tell the difference, you stop hearing the clicking sound at the back of his mouth... and my mom said she always used to watch the ears and if they aren't moving then his jaw isn't taking back much milk if any and it's comfort sucking. Also you can hear the breathing changes, Ryan gets all tired in his breathing when he's getting full.

Sorry, hope that helps :?

glad ur boobs better.

u can tell if ur boobs empty or not by squeezing it if any milk comes out. iv never had an empty boob lol

i think the reason shes on so long at that age is shes still learning. millie used to be on for like an hour, 90 minutes sometimes! she will be accomplished soon, and so will u- ur almost out of the difficult phase!

if its not hurting sounds like its all fine

keep it up, u doing really well! :hug:

glad ur boobs better.

u can tell if ur boobs empty or not by squeezing it if any milk comes out. iv never had an empty boob lol

i think the reason shes on so long at that age is shes still learning. millie used to be on for like an hour, 90 minutes sometimes! she will be accomplished soon, and so will u- ur almost out of the difficult phase!

if its not hurting sounds like its all fine

keep it up, u doing really well! :hug:

Hi

I only ever really offered one side unless it was the very odd time he/she got frusterated so i offered the other and he/she was fine.
Both comfort sucked as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back