quick question please need help!

trixipaws

Reaction score
eek i am posting this at work! feel really naughty hehe!

melissa is going thru a phase- a really bad one- BITING! its out of temper its when she gets frustrated, or i take something off her, or i pick her up when she doesnt want to be picked up, or if she's just tired even- her anger is manifested in bites!

its the nearest thing to her she will bite- most often my arm/shoulder/hand/finger but if theres no object there she'll go for the chair or even the floor! and yesterday she bit her own hand :(

her teeth are really really sharp and it really hurts. my arms and shoulder are covered in little bruises and teeth puncture marks- and her little hand has teeth marks in it she breaks the top layer of skin (it doesnt bleed but makes a red cut)

i dont kno what to do! i told my parents about it and my mum said "i hope you're smacking her when she does it" :shock: :shock: :shock: and i said "omg NO! of course not!"

i dont want to smack as discipline even when she is old enough to understand (which i dont think she is anyway) but how can i stop thie behaviour? i was more upset about her biting herself actually, poor little thing! :(

please help!

ps. i miss u guys! iv been so busy lately and my laptop is goosed, but i hope to be back on soon, im sorry for neglecting you! x x x

oran used to do this but he just kinda stopped dont know if its because we would say ''Oran NO that is Naughty'' and go and sit him somewhere away from his toys and walk away and leave him or if he just grew out of it!

Im sure she will grow out of it in no time, but if you are holding her when she does it put her down and leave her telling her that biting is naughty if she does it on herself/sofa etc (we have marks on our leather cause of O biting it!) just completely ignore her, she will soon stop when she realises she is not getting any attention from it!

Both my eldest used to do this, my daughter also would bang her head on the floor or wall! I used to try to distract them by saying 'oo, whats this' etc and pointing out that they were hurting me or themselves by showing them the marks. It's not a nice thing I know hun, but she will grow out of it eventually. :hug:

jennywren said:
Im sure she will grow out of it in no time, but if you are holding her when she does it put her down and leave her telling her that biting is naughty if she does it on herself/sofa etc (we have marks on our leather cause of O biting it!) just completely ignore her, she will soon stop when she realises she is not getting any attention from it!

I agree with this. Lucy never used to bite but she would hit (still does on occasion). We found that by saying "No!" and either putting her down (somewhere safe) away from us or walking away from her worked really well. As they get older you can reinforce it by saying "I don't like cuddling you when you bite" etc. but definitely the best way is to give them as little attention as possible.

I'd sit her somewhere and just say no :D - they all do it, paris bit me loads of times even once on the bum!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back