questions, questions and more questions..can I ask ?

Ginnymarie

Reaction score
Can I ask you girls somethings? I usually post in tri 3 but figured you guys could help and fingers crossed I will be joining you soon :)

1. Did you buy a nursing pillow, someone recommded a cheap v-neck one from argos instead of expensive ones?

2.did you buy the nappy changing disposal unit things, again I'm getting low on cash but I hate the idea of them smelling up my bins.

3. Breast Expressing, I am intending to breast feed but would like to express to take the pressure of me all the time, I have heard the electric ones are mega sore but effective and the handheld ones not very good, what is everyone doing? They are pricey ?

4. Tempted to buy two changing mats..one for nursery and one living room, quite fancy a wedge one as can put baby gym over the wedge one as have seen my neighbour do, is this necessary ?

Sorry for all these questions, mum and mother-in-law have their own ideas on things and things have changed in last 30 years and I don't have many friends with kids - thank the lord for the forum :)

x

Hi :wave:

1. When DD was tiny I just used a V pillow to support her whilst feeding which seemed to work fine.

2. Never bothered with one of those - we just got a lidded metal bin and as long as we use scented nappy sacks and empty it regularly we havent had any problems.

3. I used a handheld breast pump and had no problems. It takes some practice but I found it very effective.

4. We only have the one mat but then again we live in a small flat so it's no bother to pop into the nursery. If you got one for the living room then LO could have plenty of nappy free time too without having to worry about your carpets being soaked lol.

Hope that helps! :D

1. Did you buy a nursing pillow, someone recommded a cheap v-neck one from argos instead of expensive ones? I use a normal pillow & find it does the job well :)

2.did you buy the nappy changing disposal unit things, again I'm getting low on cash but I hate the idea of them smelling up my bins. I got one of these & found it handy although at the moment were just using nappy sacks as they are really cheap (adsa value ones) & do the trick :)

3. Breast Expressing, I am intending to breast feed but would like to express to take the pressure of me all the time, I have heard the electric ones are mega sore but effective and the handheld ones not very good, what is everyone doing? They are pricey ? At first I got a manual one (Tommy Tippee) and it was fine but I noticed it made my nipples feel sore/bruised so I got an electric one (Medela Mini) and its fantastic I love it, they are expensive (approx £45) but I got mine used off ebay for £27, BARGAIN! :D

4. Tempted to buy two changing mats..one for nursery and one living room, quite fancy a wedge one as can put baby gym over the wedge one as have seen my neighbour do, is this necessary ? I would just use the same one, they are easy enough to move around. We also use ours under the playgym when she gets out of the bath.

Hope that helps :)

1. Did you buy a nursing pillow, someone recommded a cheap v-neck one from argos instead of expensive ones? yes, but found a normal pillow much easier to use when breast feeding.

2.did you buy the nappy changing disposal unit things, again I'm getting low on cash but I hate the idea of them smelling up my bins. yes, i bought the tommee tippee nappy wrapper - and love it! wld def recommend getting one and you can usually find them 1/2 price in tesco / boots / mothercare.

3. Breast Expressing, I am intending to breast feed but would like to express to take the pressure of me all the time, I have heard the electric ones are mega sore but effective and the handheld ones not very good, what is everyone doing? They are pricey ? I can't comment on the handhelp ones - I used a medela electric one, but hired the symphony direct from medela (double twin turbo version!!). Personally I would wait to see how the BF goes before buying a pump.

4. Tempted to buy two changing mats..one for nursery and one living room, quite fancy a wedge one as can put baby gym over the wedge one as have seen my neighbour do, is this necessary ? we just bought 1 - we always change baby in her room as everything is already there. Most change bags also come with a mat, so you could use this one?

1. i didnt buy a nursing pillow

2. i didnt buy a nappy changing unit, just a changing mat and loadsa nappy sacks whch i tie up tightly!

3. i never really did any expressing, i would sometimes hand-express, and i once tried a manual pump it was useless- could only get a few drops out i can get more out with my fingers!

4. iv just got one changing mat- but i sometimes use the little thin one out of the baby bag if its closer, or just a towel! :lol:

Ginnymarie said:
2.did you buy the nappy changing disposal unit things, again I'm getting low on cash but I hate the idea of them smelling up my bins.

You should get a voucher in your Bounty pack for a free nappy bin from Argos so I wouldn't bother buying one :)

1. Did you buy a nursing pillow, someone recommded a cheap v-neck one from argos instead of expensive ones?

i got an inflatable one from boots for a tenner but it puts her up too high, maybe its cos im only small but she's at the right height just lying in my lap

so far my baby's poo doesnt smell....i think a disposal system sounds a bit unnecessary, nappy bags are cheap as you like!

3. Breast Expressing, I am intending to breast feed but would like to express to take the pressure of me all the time, I have heard the electric ones are mega sore but effective and the handheld ones not very good, what is everyone doing? They are pricey ?

im just using breast i havent even bought any bottles let alone an expresser!

4. Tempted to buy two changing mats..one for nursery and one living room, quite fancy a wedge one as can put baby gym over the wedge one as have seen my neighbour do, is this necessary ?

i've bought 2 mats as i will need one for home and one for the gym (when we have it!) they arent expensive so its worth it for the convenience IMO. Dont know about the baby gym but it only takes 30 secs to change a nappy so do they really need entertaining?

1. Never bothered with a nursing pillow, just used a regular cushion or pillow, whichever was nearest at the time and never had any problems

2. Got given a tomme tippee nappy wrapper as a gift - probably wouldnt have bought one myself - but have found it very useful to be honest, especially in the early days when you are changing 8-12 nappies a day and all through the night. Defo keeps the smell away and saves you dashing outside to the bin in the middle of the night, dont like the idea of using a normal household bin to store poo!!

3. I just used a manual breastpump first time round, the tommee tippee one, which worked just fine. Takes some getting used to and can make your hands ache a little, but does its job just fine. Will be using it again this time, although if I had the spare cash would invest in an electric one just to save a bit of effort. Manual is fine if cash is a problem though

4. I just bought the one changing mat and moved it about as necessary, although also had one come free with the pushchair (and changing bag) which came in handy if I was out anywhere. After a while I didnt bother with one at all, just used anything to hand such as a towel. We did use it sometimes under baby gym, but its not at all necessary, you can use anything to prop baby up if thats what you want.

I have a big long pillow from Kiddicare but also use several others for feeding.

We were given a spare one by my sister. I'd def recommend having one!

I've been using a manual pump til tonight but have just bought an electric one to try and free up a hand! It seems quite good - it's a Medela.

We have one for the Nursery and one for the lounge. I'd recommend 2. They're very cheap! :D

Here's my thoughts on your questions, but have fun deciding what to buy and using them very soon!! :cheer: :hug: :D :hug:

1.Normal pillows are as effective.

2.I think the disposal units are a waste of money personally, if you don't want smelly nappys around, buy nappy bags, about 50p for 1hundred.

3.I used an electric breast pump in hospital which was noisey but great, didn't hurt at all, and compared to the handheld I used at home which gave me lactic acid, numb and achey arm and fingers :lol:

4.Never used a changing mat personally, if needed extra protection for the floor I always have a muslin handy.

Ginnymarie said:
Can I ask you girls somethings? I usually post in tri 3 but figured you guys could help and fingers crossed I will be joining you soon :)

I didn't buy a nursing pillow because I didn't want to shell out on something expensive only to find out that breastfeeding wasn't for me. In the early days I used a normal pillow, to help my back out, but you soon get used to positions and what's comfortable. So while V Pillows might be fab (I don't know), it's certainly possible without one.

Completely pointless in my opinion but then others may be different. I never bought one. Just get a carrier bag, put the nappys in nappy sacks and when the bag gets full (or the next person to go out to the wheelie bin), just take it to the outside bin... If you really want to get one, they are quite often on offer in the bigger supermarkets.

I used an Avent Manual pump which I got off ebay for a tenner. Not experienced the electric ones, but this one did me just fine. You have to remember that for the first few times, anything is going to feel uncomfortable, but when you get used to the way things feel it won't be an issue... perseverance is the key :D

We have the huggies one that came with the changing bag and use that for when we are out and about or at other peoples houses. We only have one other changing mat, they're not exactly heavy so I don't see why you would need 2.. but if you're gonna get 2, get them on offer or something so it's less of a waste of money lol

Sorry for all these questions, mum and mother-in-law have their own ideas on things and things have changed in last 30 years and I don't have many friends with kids - thank the lord for the forum :)

x

Did you buy a nursing pillow, someone recommded a cheap v-neck one from argos instead of expensive ones?

I bought one but to be honest i just use whichever pillow is handy. I dont think a specific nursing one helps more, bf'ing is more down to technique and practice to get it right not a pillow. Save your pennies for nappies!

I never wanted one but you get a voucher in your bounty pack for a free one anyway. Definatly dont buy one when you will get one for free!!!!

I started with a manual avent one but i quickly got repetitive strain injury from using it (no really! i did as i have a previous injury and my wrist is weak) so i bought a electric medela swing off ebay for £35 (rrp is £90) and its brilliant and not painful at all, and very quick.

We have one in the lounge, one in the nursery and one in Isla's room but to be honest i just change them both on the floor, i've never got poo on the floor yet! :rotfl: Buy a couple , as DebbieM said they are so cheap anyway.

Ginnymarie said:

I did buy one and used it when I was breast feeding, now that I am using bottles I don't bother, but my OH does!

I was lent one of these and we do use it some of the time - but when we get really bad pooey nappies we use a nappy sack instead as you have to push the nappy right down inside the bin and I don't want poo all over my hands! :rotfl: Also the replacement cartirdges are ridiculously expensive.

I use formula so can't help here!

We have 2 changing mats and it is a godsend - most of the time I go upstairs to the nursery, but there are times when I can't be bothered! Also we couldn't not use one, the amount of times that ours has ended up covered in wee and poo! (my LO seems to wait till the nappy is removed and we are doing the quick swipe between nappies!)

x

these responses are brilliant

thanks guys

I am now

not going to buy a pillow, I have loads of cushions anyhow, I will get the free nappy storage thing from bounty and see if I like it, i have got nappy sacks and a small separate bin in kitchen so this could be the way.

I won't buy a pump until I know if I can BF.

I have a changing mat in my bag, well a couple actually as free one from boots, never thought of using that !

thanks again xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back