Questions about moving from bottle to trainer cup.

Tiggy26

Reaction score
Hi,

Id like to start getting my LO used to using a trainer cup but im a bit unsure of a few things.....

1) Do you use a trainer cup for your LO's milk feeds and juice?

2) what juice do you use? Ive bought a bottle of already diluted baby juice from the baby isle but isnt there anything bigger that i could dilute myself?

3) How often are you using a trainer cup, whats your daily rountine?

Thanks

T xx

I serve a cup of that juice that you bought with my LO's lunch (this is his only meal at the moment).

He dont really drink much, it runs down his face... but he tries!! You are meant to serve juice in a cup with their food I know.

As for milk, im not sure, a friend of mine has a 10month old, and told me that shes meant to be drinking all of her fluids (milk inc) out of a cup, but I hadnt hurd of this.

Hopefully someone with an older LO will be able to assist more with the daily routine! :)

Connie's already shoving a cup with a spout in her mouth, is this a trainer cup? She has water in it with her evening solid food. Is this too early? Oops. She seems to enjoy it anyway especially as she can handle it herself.

Ella has been drinking water from a cup for a couple of months now (she doesn't have juice) we have the Tommee Tippee ones where she has to kind of chew the spout to get the water out. She drinks water with her meals and also between bottles if she is looking thirsty, she did dribble most of it out again, but she is doing better now.

I think that the aim is to get them drinking milk from a cup by a year, but I am not sure how attainable that is?

I only ever gave Austin 'drinks' (rather than milk) from a sippy cup (we used the Avent Magic cup but I like the Nuby ones too) so he used one from just before 6 months.

If I gave juice it was always fresh fruit juice diluted down, but he had water most of the time because I wanted him to get used to having water as a drink rather than expecting juice all the time.

When he got to about 9 months I started phasing out his milk bottles, we got a cow cup & he had his day time milk in that (as well as booby in the morning, bottle in the evening). Just before his birthday we stopped breastfeeding and so he had the cow cup for the morning feed too, then when he was about 15 months he dropped his daytime feed and had the cow cup for bedtime milk too.

So I did the milk quite gradually but gave him water & juice in a beaker from day 1. It's completely up to you how you want to do it, there's no right or wrong.

I ditched bottles at 4 months with both girls and moved on to these soft spout beaker cups but I had the advantage of bfing. I had lots of bad experiences with dentists and as a result I have been obsessive about keeping mine and the girls teeth as clean and protected as possible to minimise how many times evil, pain inflicting dentists need to get involved (can you tell I hate them... :rotfl: ). Drinking juice from a bottle is not advised as it can cause bad tooth decay... So I have always been terrified of giving sweet drinks in bottles and have never used them... Takes a long time and the juice goes everywhere but thats fine :) It gets better. As for milk... With Tia, I used bottles for her top ups then moved onto beaker spouts with Avent bottles, they don't make them anymore...not the soft ones :(

Lil miss has never had milk as routine in a bottle, but when I started work, all her milk was put into a cup and we just persevered. Morning, lunch and night time milk feeds were boobs. We have nuby and tommee tippee cups, as well as a sippy cup with a flip up spout and she really likes that one... Although at the moment straws are a complete winner... :rotfl: and only wants to drink from a straw

You could start by putting all meal time milk in a cup and letting you LO get on with it :) ? Then put night time and morning milk in a bottle as they tend to be comfort related. Then slowly change over :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back