Question about consultancy care in pregancy

LauraKC

Reaction score
Im a bit confused. my friend who has had 2 babies (and who is a bit of a know it all between you and me) has said that i should have a consutant as well as a midwife. Ive asked my midwife about this but she said you only get a consultant if you are high risk and because of my age and medical history i am classed as low risk. my friend however insists that everyoen should have a consultant and is basically implygin that my hosptial arent doing their job properly! she had a consultant with both her pregnancies but she was over 35, had big babies and had to have a c section both times. would this be the reason? many thanks :| :?

I would say that you should listen to your midwife. If you are classed as low risk there is no need for you to see a consultant. I did see a consultant but that was because I had a high BMI (body mass index) and could potentially be at risk from developing diabetes. I had all the tests and now have been discharged from the consultant to be in the care of my community midwife..

If your friend was over 35 the hospital policy may have been for her to be medically managed by a consultant..... I Am not sure.. but don't worry about the fact you haven't been referred. You are in the best hands and if the midwife is at all concerned then you will get an appointment. ( In my opinion the midwifes are better than the doctors anywway!!)

Lyndsey

I am under consultant care as a result of other health problems...This was a descion my m/w made..in my pregnancynotes/book it gives options for m/w care consultant care etc. When i went to hosp for my scan i had to see the m/w their who wrote appropriate refferal in my notes so it certainly isn't a for gone conclusion...
If you develop any complications in your pregnancy then you would then see a consultant but seems like your friend is a think she knows it all LOL

Don't worry though if your m/w thinks your low risk then listen to her

Tc

I am under shared care between Midwife and Consultant because of 3 previous C sections. [first 2 emergency ones]

From what my midwife said I will see the consultant at around 16-20 weeks then again at 36 weeks [and thats for a check-up and to get date for c section]

Im pretty sure you only see a consultant is there is a medical reason for it, as in previous c sections/probs with previous pregnancy/probs with baby etc etc. Or if you are an 'older mum'

So, id say trust your midwife - they know what they are doing :)

I thought everyone seen a consultant. I've seen one with all 3 pregnancys and i have never had no problems and i'm low risk. :?

I've to see a consultant, but thats because i have a thyroid problem that they have to monitor.

i think it also depends on area, some are midwife led, others consultant led and others are shared care. my area operates shared care between midwife/gp and consultant. but i only saw my consultant for my sweep at 41 weeks. i think as long as things are fine and dandy and if they are busy you'll only see midwife, if its quiet or you have any worries or compliacations then you can see consultant .

the amount of times i was told in letters i would have an appointment with my consultant - every time i turned up they would ask if i was happy to see the midwife or did i need to see the consultant( couldnt care either way!)

some people just like to worry you about everything when they should be reassuring you!

:hug: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Be grateful if you don't need to see a consultant. It rules out things like home birth, and even the birthing centre here. It's the delivery suite or nothing!

Maybe it varies with area, but only an existing medical problem or the things already mentioned means you have to see a consultant. IMO, unless you have a real problem, sole midwifery care is ideal. Pregnancy is a conditon, not an illness for most people anyway!

Fingers crossed you don't need a consultant :) xxx

Not everyone has to see one here..if you are low risk you just see your midwife

I will have consultant / mw care as I had a previous c section and twins last time plus I'm growing at an enormous rate, bump though not weight ( YET!) may I add :D

my pregnancy is being dealt with under shared cared, but ive only ever seen a midwife during appointments. This is my first Baby and im classed as low risk. The only time i have to go see a consultant is when i get my Anti-D injections at 28 weeks and 34 weeks.
As everyone else has said, i think its just if you are classed as a high risk pregnancy that you need a consultant, however some areas you may have both as it depends on wheteher your antenatal care is midwife-led (most areas) or consultant-led (hospitals that specially deal with lots of high risk cases). :D

I'm consultant care this time as I'm high risk but last time I saw the consultant at 12 weeks at my hospital booking (my hospital is in a different area to my midwives care area) and that was it. You only tend to see them if you have a problem normally. I only got assigned a consultant last time coz I was born clicky hips and Damien had to have a hip scan I think??

Some area's are different, but I'd ignore your friend. Something they might give you an assigned consultant on your notes and you won't ever have to see them or know you have a consultant assigned to you!

i saw a consultant with my last 3 pregnancys aint seen one this time tho, and i was low risk also!!

i have a midwife and a consulant i have never seen my consultant though, this is because i have had a previous miscarraige.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back