qualifications

sam96031

Reaction score
When I was in University I was studying a joint honours degree in health and social care, criminology and criminal justice, during my last year there I had Emma so I had to quit after only two years instead of three. I did leave with a diploma in all three so it wasn't a complete waste of time lol. Now I'm thinking of finishing off my degree in my spare time, I was thinking of doing it through learn direct but I can't really understand their website lol (not a good start), I was looking also at the open university but a lot of it doesn't start until 2010.
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or any experience in completing a degree this way?

thanks Rainbow I'm going to have a good look with DH when he gets home and I might take you up on the offer of the PM :)

I'm doing a psychology degree with the OU and if you need any help let me know and i'll see what info i can find.

I love the flexibility of it :) xx

If you are thinking of the Learn Direct route my best advise (after 2 courses with them) is to phone up.
The website sends you in circles then gives you a phone number anyway.
I've no dealings with the OU as managed to complete mine at uni but from what everyone else is saying it sounds great.

My husband has studied with the OU and it's been a wholly positive experience. If you do go with them, be sure to apply for a credit transfer so that your prior learning can be taken into account and you don't have to start from scratch :)

Thank you for all the replies I will deffo be looking at all the different courses out there taht would suit me and would definately try and get my previous credits transfered :D

I've found a home course in teaching that im thinking of doing. its a degree. im gonna wait til next year though because im still deciding between teacher or midwife and i've not got time to study at the moment either.

My OH's doing a computer degree with the OU and it's been really good so far. He's only doing his first module at the moment. He qualified for financial help so it's not cost anything, and I found out the other day you can use tesco clubcard points to pay! Bonus! Godd luck hun :hug:

I'm an associate lecturer for the OU (part-time arts & humanities) - glad to see so many positive experiences! :D

Most of our courses have two start dates, October and February, though it may be different for other disciplines. Some courses get booked up early, but others for later this year may just not be advertised yet (since the Feb course is only just beginning). If you're interested in OU courses, the best thing to do is ring the phone number given for student registration enquiries - they will talk you through exactly what's available in your area when, and how much it will cost. They'll have a spreadsheet with all the courses for a particular subject and it will save you time if you're not sure about which one might be appropriate.

I also teach at a 'normal' university - it's worth investigating part-time and evening courses at your local university too, as many of them now offer distance-learning and part-time courses leading to degrees. My university definitely offers evening degree classes in my subject areas, as well as an online degree using a virtual learning environment.

Kittykins said:
I'm an associate lecturer for the OU (part-time arts & humanities) - glad to see so many positive experiences! :D

Most of our courses have two start dates, October and February, though it may be different for other disciplines. Some courses get booked up early, but others for later this year may just not be advertised yet (since the Feb course is only just beginning). If you're interested in OU courses, the best thing to do is ring the phone number given for student registration enquiries - they will talk you through exactly what's available in your area when, and how much it will cost. They'll have a spreadsheet with all the courses for a particular subject and it will save you time if you're not sure about which one might be appropriate.

I also teach at a 'normal' university - it's worth investigating part-time and evening courses at your local university too, as many of them now offer distance-learning and part-time courses leading to degrees. My university definitely offers evening degree classes in my subject areas, as well as an online degree using a virtual learning environment.
hi I was wondering with doing it through a local university do you have to attend the uni? as our local uni is quite far away

It depends whether the course is a part-time evening course (in which case classes are held at the college/uni in the evenings after work, and yes, you would have to attend) or whether it's a distance-learning course (in which case seminars are usually held online/via phone).

Not all universities do distance-learning, and not in all subjects. I've taught on our one in the past, and the way it works is that students are presented with a list of seminars (online) and choose which ones they want to do. They're also given a course outline. They have to pay per seminar, and per assignment submitted (which seems a little unfair to me, I think that the fee should include a certain number of seminars and a couple of assignments, allowing them to top up as they want). A seminar runs for a week - the tutor posts a message on a forum, students reply, the tutor comments, and so on, before the tutor rounds up at the end of the week. The forum looks pretty much like this one. With this course, a summer school is also offered, lasting 4 days. The only compulsory element is the exam, however. The exam will be arranged through a local institution, e.g. college or school, and invigilated. I had students from all over the world - Hong Kong, India, S Africa, Brazil...

The part-time evening course may not run every week - it may be a 3-hour session every 3 weeks. The advantage is that it will be in your area, even if a little distance away, and therefore you will meet other students from your area too. For my subject at my university, there will be 2 compulsory essays and a compulsory exam at the end.

The OU course that I teach on (again, different in different subjects) uses various teaching methods: face-to-face tutorials, day schools, online seminars (these last for 2 weeks, using a forum), telephone tutorials (usually in regions too large/sparse to support face-to-face tutorials, eg some parts of Scotland) and email contact. For my course, you also get a coursebook which you have to work through, with exercises. None of the teaching is compulsory. However, you must do 7 assignments throughout the course, all of which contribute to the end mark, and then a final end of course assessment. There is no exam. We've had 4 face-to-face tutorials since the course start date in October.

It's worth thoroughly investigating all options, and trying to work out how you will work best. If you can't make face-to-face tutorials, will you really do the work on your own? With the OU course, I have noticed that those students who attend the tutorials also get higher assignment marks and are more on top of their work - the late assignments and the dropouts have all been from students I have never met and who haven't participated in the online seminars either. This may be simply because they're too busy to attend, and too busy to do the work, or it may be that they are less motivated. I would imagine it's a struggle to stay up-to-date when you're working in a vacuum. However, they also fail to respond to emails from me asking if they're ok, so who knows?!

If it was me, knowing I work best when I have some contact with others and deadlines to work to, I'd be looking for a course with some face-to-face teaching time, but that is either optional, or infrequent enough that I'd have a chance of making it. E.g. I would make a 2-hour round trip for a 3-hour tutorial maybe once every month, but not once a week. I know I'd be more motivated to keep up with the work knowing there was a tutorial coming up and an opportunity to ask questions - it's also a reminder to do some work! However, I'd also think hard about the amount of compulsory coursework. If I can't make a tutorial, am I likely to write the essay? How many assignments can I realistically do? How long is each likely to take? Also think about issue like where you'd study. Do you have somewhere quiet at home? Will you get guaranteed time to yourself, and if so, how much? Is there a library nearby that you could go to if not? How much support will you get from family and friends? And finally, you'd need to ask about credit for work undertaken elsewhere - will your diplomas count towards a degree? if so, how much? Different universities have different policies - you may find that one place will require you to do a year's worth of work, another will require you to do 3 years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back