• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pumping v hand expressing

Elfs Mummy

Reaction score
In hospital i was given a pump to use as she wasn't feeing well and i managed to get 8oz out of one boob !! however i can hand express and easily get 4 oz out in about 10 mins so my question is would puying a manual (i used electric in hospital) pump enable me to do it faster or should i just hand express and save my money? xx

I've never hand expressed but I only get about 3oz at a tine from a manual pump (after I've fed kieron) I suppose it depends on how often u intend to express xx

I could hand express and manual pump at the same sort of rate - if anything hand expressing was better cos it was more comfortable! I found the manual pump (I had an avent one) made my nipples a bit sore tbh.
So unless you could get a good electric one I'd not bother, stick with the hand! lol :)

I have a medela swing it was worth every penny, so much more comfortable than hand expressing.
Plus it frees up a hand to play with baby. I did a lot of research and this came up with super reviews and it truely is as good as they say.

I ended up solely expressing and this pump still was brill to use all the time.

ive hand expressed before, have a manual pump and an electric pump. my hand aches after using the manual, and hand expressing is long! haha, i dont do it simply because i cant be bothered to do it. with my electric one i just sit in front of tv, do nothing, switch it on and 10 mins later theres 6oz. i am lazy so would have opted for the electric anyway, but as you say, hand expressing is freee!! x

I can only get a dribble out when I hand express. Must be doing something wrong!

I agree with countrybumpkin the Medela is amazing. Worth every penny.

If you do go down Medela road, go for the swing, the model down, is way to noisey, that you can't even think let alone hear any thing. Plus the swing acts very simular to how a baby would feed, with a milk let down button. Goggle and you will know what i mean.

Think im going to ask my Gran to buy me the medela swing as i've decided to go back into education in September i'll be out for 3 days so she'll need milk from somewhere and i dontthink i'll want to give up bf !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back