Progesterone support?

nicejuicypear

Reaction score
When I had my rmc appointment the consultant suggested I ask my gp for progesterone pessaries. I can't remember if she said I should ask to have them straight after ovulation or just when I geta bfp. I took the pessaries with my two earlier pregnancies, from the date of egg transfer, which is standard practice with ivf. I'm now trying naturally though and am 3dpo and wondering if I should go the GPs and ask for them now. Does anyone have any insight?

I didn't know that GPs could give them? I am going to ask my doctor too. Although at my RMC appointment they said I didn't need anything so maybe they won't give it to me based on that x

She said that some GPs will prescribe and some won't. Which irritates me, so much for continuity of care across the country.

At first I thought that given that I'd had it with my two miscarriages and it hadn't prevented them, I might as well not bother. But now I'm thinking, if I lose another one, I'll wish that I'd taken progesterone, just in case it might have helped this time. I might just go to the doctor's this week anyway, see what she says.

You could always try, lisey. It's worth asking.

Yeah I don't think there is any risk to progesterone so no harm in trying. I think I will ask on the off chance as it is something I wanted to try x

Hi Girls,

I took progesterone with my first pregnancy from 3dpo and took it whilst TTC number 2 from 3 dpo too, I had two chemical pregnancies whilst taking it and my private doc said I might be over doing my lining and making it unreceptive to an embryo.

I'm pregnant my first cycle without it.

Are you gonna take from 3dpo or at a bfp?

xx

Thanks for that info maybe, I didn't realise it could cause problems if theres too much x

Maybe baby, that's what I was wondering, when to start it. With ivf you take it from the equivalent of ovulation onwards. Interesting about what your doctor said. I didn't know it could be detrimental, it's always given for ivf and my rmc consultant said it was in the 'can't harm, may help' category. But then, they said that about aspirin and a study suggests that may not be the case.

If I go to the gp, I'm going tomorrow so I'll have to have a good research about it today.

Last edited:
I had a bit of a Google and found a WHO report that says that progesterone doesn't make a difference, and they were going to recommend that it is no longer used in developing countries to prevent miscarriage.

I read a couple of other reliable looking reviews of studies which suggest that dropping progesterone is just a symptom of impending miscarriage and not a cause of it. There is merit in using it when you have a luteal phase defect, but not otherwise.

I think I'll leave it for now, see how I get on without it.

Gps can prescribe it on recommendation from a consultant i believe. Not sure if they can do it without though. I was told that i would take it from bfp. Good luck xxx

Hi,

My wife and I have had 2 miscarriages. We were given Clomid tablets (privately) and we have fallen pregnant for the third time (first cycle of taking Clomid) . Her progesterone was measured at 77 a week before taking pregnancy test, which was taken a day after her missed period. We have been given these pessarie inserts for her to take daily until next consultation. I dont think there's any harm in asking for them, and my wife seems alot more happier knowing she's taking the extra progesterone. I hope it works for you.

Thanks s3r3n, I decided against them in the end. I took them with my previous pregnancies and still had two miscarriages and I felt that the progesterone had just masked the miscarriage and made them missed miscarriages by not allowing them to pass naturally. I felt they gave me a false sense of security. I'm now 8 weeks pregnant, no progesterone and doing well so far. Hope all is well with your wife.

Hi,

Just decided to log in again after a busy few months. Since this post, my wife and I are proud parents of twin girls born on 31st of October 2014! I hope everything went ok with you. I honestly think the progesterone helped. Bethan and Isabelle were the girls in relation to my post April 12th... Mother and babies are doing great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zain mansoor
Back