Private Room

Squiggle

Reaction score
Hello mummies!! :wave:

Hope you don't mind me asking, but I was just wondering if any of you had a private room at the hospital when you had baby? If so, what was it like and was it expensive?

Thank you for your help

xxx

I did :D

I had a separate room from the others on the ward. There were a few private rooms and people were meant to pay for them, but the midwife told me I didn't need to.

They were all being very kind to me though as I had a water birth and it's not a regular occurance for them :)

It was nice :D I'm glad I had my own room. Right opposite the canteen room too :D

i had a priveate room hun but didnt pay for it, the hospital i was in it was £22 a night but the room i was given was a womens who had paid and they took it off her because i was classed as an emergency with having a section and a prem baby

At our hospital the private rooms were hotel prices at £90 a night

I should imagine it depends on the hospital.

I had my son in North Yorkshire and I was on a small ward after. I had my daughter in Germany and had a private room after, but in Germany you have health insurance, so in a way you do pay for it.

From what I can gather, it depends on the hospital as to if they offer private rooms in maternity units and also the cost may vary.

Best bet is to check with your hospital and enquire as to availibility and costs etc and how to book, if possible.

One hospital trust I've just read up on said they don't book in advance, its a first come first serve basis as there is never any way to predict when someone will go into labour. Also the cost for that one is £100 per night.

Also found this online

6. Private room in an NHS hospital

Often referred to as an "amenity room", these are private rooms on the postnatal wards of NHS hospitals, although not all units have them. Midwives allocate them on the basis of clinical need eg if someone's had a caesarean, but you may be able to book one if there's availability after your baby's birth.
Pros:Having your own room means you can sleep when you want (or when your baby lets you!), see visitors in private and not have to worry about being "on view" all the time.
Cons: If another woman needs the room for medical reasons, she'll take priority. You may lose out on camaraderie with other new mums on the ward.
Cost: from around £45 a day, ask about availability when you go on your hospital tour.
Cheaper alternatives: as long as your birth is uncomplicated and you and baby are well, you can go home to familiar surroundings as soon as you like after the birth. Alternatively, there are still some small midwife-run units where the atmosphere is intimate and relaxed - ask your midwife about what's available.

I had a private room and it was absolutely fab! I had a c-section, so it was a pure bliss to be able to have your own room, and not to worry wether you look decent or not. Also loved the en-suite bathroom.

The only minus is price :? :( It cost as a normal hotel room. Mind you, I gave birth in Surrey, where even hospital car park price was £26 per day :wall: (My DH ended up parking futher down on the street for free)

But it was definatly worth the price. :hug:

I had my own room, it was £40.00 a night and i was in for 2, it was the best thing ever! i had my own ensuite, I know everyone is different and I am a bit paranoid, but the thought of sharing a toilet and shower with 4 or 6 other new mums all bleeding lots just did not appeal to me at all!!!

Also it meant i could lock the room door and have my shower with the bathroom door open without worrying about waiting until hubby came in to look after the baby.

I would thoroughly recommend it.

I had a private room as I was struggling with BF & really tired and emotional after a long labour so they asked if I would be more comfortable with a side room which I of course said yes.

It was fab having some privacy & knowing if I heard a baby cry it was only gunna be Ellie and not someone elses :lol: Wud defo recommend it, I didnt have to pay but not sure how much it would have been if I had!

I was in a private room when i was pregnant and to be honest bit was very quiet which was nice as i just wanted to sleep but once LO was born i didn't see the point..There was no tv no light in private room.
I didn't pay as i was considered contagieous but think it was £50 a night
i was in 3 days and spent 2 days in a bay on my own and so had my own shower and toilet

cloud9 said:
I was in a private room when i was pregnant and to be honest bit was very quiet which was nice as i just wanted to sleep but once LO was born i didn't see the point..There was no tv no light in private room.
I didn't pay as i was considered contagieous but think it was £50 a night
i was in 3 days and spent 2 days in a bay on my own and so had my own shower and toilet

Why were you considered contageous?

I planned before the birth to defo have one-our hozzi charge around £40 per night.... I asked for one when I had Ruby, the first night they wanted to keep me on a ward as I had a c section, but I was moved to my own room the next day. I was in for another 4 days so it was nice to have a room to myself, the only bad point was it was freezing in there, the heating wasnt working properly and I slept in my cardie!!! There wasnt another room to move me too as they were all full, so they ended up not charging me for my stay as it was sooo cold!!! Kept Ruby warm with layers and blankets. It was either that or go bak to the ward and I was in pain so preferred to stay in own room.

i actually loved being on the ward, it only had 4 beds and the other ladies were lovely, and we all had nice chats and got on well. especailly nice when you had no visitors, you didnt feel so lonely :lol:

With imogen I had her in the morning and had the whole ward to myself for the day so i slept and I went home in rthe evening :D

i didnt have a private room, but when my friend had her baby, the ward was so full up that they had to give her a private room. She said it was fantastic! Lucky cow :rotfl:

Thank you for the replies girls, it's definately something I'll ask about when I for my next appointment :D

xxx

i enquired at my hospital (watford)and its £400 a night!! plus you have to put a deposit of £1600 i guess incase you're in there a few nights

gymbabeliz said:
i enquired at my hospital (watford)and its £400 a night!! plus you have to put a deposit of £1600 i guess incase you're in there a few nights

:shock: :shock: What the???? :shock: Is it a private hospital?

gymbabeliz said:

Maybe I won't be having a private room then! I'm at Watford hospital.

xxx

Squiggle said:
gymbabeliz said:

Maybe I won't be having a private room then! I'm at Watford hospital.

xxx

no way!!! it totally sucks our way. I live in hemel and they closed their maternity unit and birth centre last year. Next nearest is st albans who also closed their maternity unit. Really didnt want to go to watford as its just so grubby looking and overcrowded, and youcant park, and only ever had bad experiences there (2 year waiting list to have wisdom teeth out!).....west herts was rated bottom in the whole country on that recent report!!

so ive booked in for a homebirth and praying i dont have to be induced or go to hospital

she said you can always ask when you get there if a private room is available and you can pay just for the night then, (instead of the £1600) but they do get booked up so thered be no guarantee

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back