Pregnant during notice period ...

Jennyboob

Reaction score
Hi all :wave:

Well i'm in a bit of a pickle.

I was given my notice on the 31st of march and so am currently serving the 6 months.

Now I think i'll be entitled to maternity allowance however I have heard from some people that because I will still be working for my employer in the 25th week of my pregnancy I will actually be allowed full maternity pay.

Is this true?

Jenny xxx

Somewhere in there it explaina the cut off point for SMP and SMA

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefit ... ty_pay.asp

To get SMP you must have been:

Employed by your employer into the qualifying week which is the 15th week before the week your baby is due.
Employed by the same employer without a break for at least 26 weeks into the 15th week before the week your baby is due. Part weeks count as full weeks, and
Earning before tax an average of £87.00 a week. This is called the Lower Earnings Limit for National Insurance Contributions (NI) and is the amount you have to earn to qualify for benefits. You have to earn more than this amount before you actually start paying NI.

If YES to all, claim SMP.

If you are employed you can read more about how long you must work for your employer and how to work out your earnings in leaflet NI 17A – A guide to Maternity Benefits.

Maternity allowance and SMP are both £117.18 a week or 90% of you normal earnings, whichever is lowest. In the first 6 weeks SMP is 90% of your earnings so full maternity pay would only mean enhanced income for the first 6 weeks. Many employers offer enhanced maternity pay but as you would not be an employee you wouldn't be entitled to anything extra they offer, I don't think. You could ask though - it wouldn't do any harm.

You are entitled to SMP - have a look at the government's website as it explains what you want to know:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... G_10029290

It states:
If you have the right to receive SMP, you'll get it even if you decide to leave your job before you start receiving SMP. You don't have to repay it if you decide not to go back to work or leave your job whilst getting SMP.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back