Prawns during pregnancy?

Karate Kid

Reaction score
I don't know about you Ladies, but I am slightly confused about the whole to eat or not to eat prawns whilst pregnant debate....

What have you all done?

I am craving a prawn salad sandwich so badly!! xx

Last edited:
I actually had a prawn Mayo sands which from boots the other day. I enjoyed every single tiny bit of it!! I'm stil alive!! X

I've been eating prawns in all sorts of guises, hun. As long as you buy or make the sandwich fresh, it should be fine. xx

Gosh. Now I want prawns. :shock:

I've been eating prawns too. I didn't think it was a problem?

I buy (and enjoy eating) fresh cooked prawns from the supermarket. I wouldn't be too fussed on using frozen ones or raw ones as the risk is in them being not handled correctly and are a high risk for food poisoning. You just need to be careful and dont risk dodgy ones (not thawed out long enough, gone past their best before date, not cooked thoroughly etc)
xx

I think its the usual rules regarding seafood even if you weren't pregnant - ie not raw (why you'd want raw prawns anyway?), not old and smelly and piping hot if cooked? As long as their fresh I think they are ok xx ps I love prawns!!

prawns are fine as long as they have a date on them and are stored correctly eg... fridge xxx enjoy xxx

My mum's main craving with me was frozen prawns!!! I came out ok!

O lurve prawns and ate them in previous pregnancys unfortunatly i became alergic to them and they make me sooo ill ...and its not fair cause they are sooo yummy

I've avoided them just because I'm not sure. But I've had scallops!

I wanted an open prawn sandwich today for lunch but was afraid so had chicken instead. I think its ok but I'm just not 100% x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I've really missed prawns and smoked salmon but have avoided them - apart from three M&S smoked salmon sandwiches before I got my bfp.

My mw said so long as they are fron a good source then there shouldnt be an issue ie from a good supermarket.

I'm still not sure I'd risk it though with any seafood only because they are also filter feeders and usually eat the cr@p in the sea, but then I'm probably just being over cautious!
xx

Last edited:
Ooo iv eaten LOADS of prawns. Love them. Intact had a m&s Thai prawn wrap for my lunch today.

I've had prawns and smoked salmon and no problems with me or LO! As long as handled correctly. Just avoid raw seafood like sushi, oysters etc. Midwife told me not to eat prawns but DoH website says you can I think! I know we have to reduce risk but sometimes these guidelines go way over the top

Yeah I eat them loads :) I think they're perfectly fine hun xxx

Yep, lots of prawns, smoked salmon and nuts for me!! Although have given up blue cheese and pate and wine (sob!!). Guess what tea I'm going to demand on coming home from hospital day??!!

Thank you ladies.... I had a prawn salad sandwich for lunch then had a prawn vegetable stirfry for dinner..... YUM!!

I was craving a prawn curry the other night but stayed well away. I love prawns with a passion lol so it's been hard not to eat them. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back