Powercut. RAAAAAAAAA

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
We had a powercut lastnight for about 5 or 6 hours. Do you think my frozen food will be ok? I cant tell :(

As long as you keep the door shut it should be fine I think. We had a power cut the other night for a couple of hours and ours was ok. We have a digital display though so we can see what the temperature is and when the leccy came back I just pressed the power freeze button. If you are unsure though and the food went a bit soft then I'd say chuck it to be on the safe side. Especially meat and fish.

If you have anything in cardboard packaging and the cardboard seems a bit soggy, then chuck it as chances are the food inside has defrosted, especially if its chicken. But then id chuck everything out just to be on the safe side anyway as im mega paranoid about food poisoning since I poisoned myself a few years ago by eating chicken that hadnt been cooked properly :puke:

glitzyglamgirl said:
If you have anything in cardboard packaging and the cardboard seems a bit soggy, then chuck it as chances are the food inside has defrosted, especially if its chicken. But then id chuck everything out just to be on the safe side anyway as im mega paranoid about food poisoning since I poisoned myself a few years ago by eating chicken that hadnt been cooked properly :puke:

Thats one of the main reasons we went veggie. I was scared of poisoning Isaac!

Thanks ladies

Ive checked the cardboard and thats fine. The bag of peas havnt frozen to a solid lump either so Im assuming that the freezer didnt get too warm last night. It was bloody cold anyway and the freezer was only opend once briefly.

Sounds cool. I just had a thought, why don't you phone birds eye or a food brand name you have in your freezer and ask them. Better to be safe than sorry. Food poisoning is really nasty.

Lou :)

I found this through the food standards agency website....

What should I do with the food in my freezer if we have a power cut?

If you have a power cut, don’t open the freezer door – this helps food stay frozen for longer. When the power comes back on, check the food inside.

If the food is still hard and icy, you can leave it in the freezer. Turn the freezer to its maximum setting for 24 hours, before putting it back on a setting that keeps it at -18°C.

If the food has started to defrost, you may need to throw it away, depending on the type of food.

Throw away any food that you would eat frozen, for example ice cream, if it has started to defrost. Do not refreeze these foods.

If meat and fish, or foods containing these, have started to get soft, throw these away too. Watch out for liquid coming out of defrosting raw meat because this could spread bacteria to other foods.

Bread and frozen vegetables can be refrozen, as long as they have not been touched by raw meat or liquid coming out of it.

No worries hun. i also read that frozen food should be ok with no power for up to 12 hours so you should be fine.

:hug:

lou said:
No worries hun. i also read that frozen food should be ok with no power for up to 12 hours so you should be fine.

oops, Ive just thrown all my meat and ice lollies out :lol:

Just to be on the safe side :oops:

natalie&jake said:
lou said:

oops, Ive just thrown all my meat and ice lollies out :lol:

Just to be on the safe side :oops:

Yeah best to be safe. I would too I think hun :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member