• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Picking a primary school

Hazel

Reaction score
Yes, I know Connie is only 4 weeks old but we are moving house soon so the school will influence our house choice. There are 2 schools a mile from each other so she could go to either of them, one would be a minute walk from the house the other a 5 minute drive. I want her to go to the closest one so can walk. When should I be applying for schools to gaurantee a place for her.

i put kiaras name down when she was 18months she started a week after her 3rd birthday.depends how good the school is as well as area and size of school,also what age they start them.theres a 6month-1year waiting list for a place at our school depending on which year you want to join.phone the school,theres no harm in asking.you can put your childs name down for more than 1 school as well.

this is something we have been thinking about as well as we will need to love at some point as this place is only 1 bedroom.... schools are important and I dont know what im looking at to me honest!!

in colchester u cant put names down like that
u get a form sent to u wen the child is three -ish and u put ur 3 top school choices down, but ur not garenteed for them 3 choices u could get one the other side of town :roll:

Sarah&Braydon said:
u get a form sent to u wen the child is three -ish and u put ur 3 top school choices down, but ur not garenteed for them 3 choices u could get one the other side of town :roll:
Ditto for us but they changed the process half way through and didnt tell anyone so we had his name down at a school and when he was 4 had 2 weeks to sort it out using the new system.

I would suggest if you are able to do something early keep uptodate with wether it still is enough nearer the time

Sarah&Braydon said:

same here im my area there is two schools and the catchment is based on what side of the bridal path you live on, to what school your childs more likely to go to. One school is just past the birdal path and the ones that live right by the school on the wrong side of the path (which to them that would be a min walking to it) have to go to the school that is 10 mins walking distance away . This has happened to a few poeple in my daughters class. You should be able to look at the schools catchment on your county webpage.

Sarah&Braydon said:

same for us depends on where you live (catchment area) if child has siblings in school etc if your choice of school means you are a no to either of those then u are at the bottom of the pile. im lucky cus i purposely moved into the catchment aea for reannas school when she was in their nursery (the nurseries are first come first served because it not compulsary for your child to start at 3yrs) and she did get into the school i wanted and kayla will be first on list because she is in catchment area and has a sibling at that school. the cuncil send out the letters just after xmas when your child is of school goin age.

xxx

Nursery/primary school Ofsted reports are available to read online via your local education dept.

:D

Good luck choosing one Hazel :hug:

We only have one in a 10 mile radius so not much decision to make. Fortunately it's in our village :rotfl:

lou said:
Nursery/primary school Ofsted reports are available to read online via your local education dept.

When reading OFSTED reports now though, do consider that the schools could have changed hugely in the next 4 years. Schools are inspected every 3 yrs or so and lots could have changed in between and the best school in an area now may not still be the best school when your LO starts. That has happened here the school that everyone wanted got a really bad Ofsted recently after a brilliant one last time.

Magic Monkey said:
lou said:

When reading OFSTED reports now though, do consider that the schools could have changed hugely in the next 4 years. Schools are inspected every 3 yrs or so and lots could have changed in between and the best school in an area now may not still be the best school when your LO starts. That has happened here the school that everyone wanted got a really bad Ofsted recently after a brilliant one last time.

Yes! Good point and how scary is that!?! Apparently the school that I have choosen for Isaac used to be bad but has greatly improved. I am taking their latest report at face value and once Isaac starts there I will do all I can as a parent and member of the PTA to do my bit to keep it a great school :D However when I visited the school I did ask when their next Ofsted visit is and they didn't know but I'll defo keep my ears and eyes peeled :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back