Phil & Ted's Sport buggy

Sherlock

Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these? Know someone who uses one? How do you find them?

Phil & Teds' Sport buggy

Along with the Sport Cocoon pram holdall thing? This thing here

Hubby has fallen for it big time. I am still needing some convincing to change my mind from the Jane Slalom Pro. I think the carry cot sits too low in the frame and also the infant carrier isn't maybe as good as other brands, but it does fit the buggy if we need it to :think:

Also has anyone used the infant carrier you can get to go with it? Infant carrier

We oredered this one 5 motnhs ago and still havent got it, we have changed to a new shop and now they have been delayed as well. The supplier in New Zealand cannot keep up with the demand apparently.

But we have used a friends Phil and Teds and it is ace, no comparison to any of the other, it is easy to push with two kids in and turns on a sixpencem the newborn isnt low to the ground really and they are really snug in there, the cacoon is ace but wont last a long baby more than about 3 or 4 months but then they can go in the seat by then anyway.

Definatly likely to have the 2nd baby before the buggy now...... arghhh!
:rotfl:

Thanks for the feedback :)

Hmmm if we do go for this one then I hope we can actually get it :think:

We had set on the Jane Slalom Pro but have cancelled it and are looking at other options for a couple of reasons now and this one was the one hubby felt was the best for us.

I'm still trying to make up my mind. I like it, but I loved the Jane, only that's not going to happen now :wall: :cry:

I worry about a childs hands being able to reach the wheels if they are in the lower/under seat of the buggy. Also a few other things I've read I need to think about and have another look at it again on Monday.

My main thing now is we will need to buy a different car seat and just have the P&T buggy and cot attachment. Which would work but its not my ideal.

People either seem to love it or hate it. I've read mostly good reviews and liked what I saw today, so will keep reading and researching and see again on Monday.

I have one and I love it! Its the only one of the vast amount of pushchairs I've had that I cant wait to use again. I used it with DS1 and DS2, and now I'll use it for DS2 and 3.

I never had a problem with hands in the wheels, but as fas as im aware, they now come with little guards to protect hands.

I never struggled with the newborn flat bit, I think its brilliant! I didnt have a cocoon 1st time round, but I've just bought one only because I think it makes it more comfortable.

The Phil and Teds is SO easy to push with 2, and so easy with 2 toddlers too! I used mine on Buses and trains with no problems and the turning circle is amazing. Its also not wide, so fits very easily through small shop aisles.

I saw someone using a pushchair like this and the child at the bottom was playing with the wheel and I was really worried she was going to trap her fingers! I don't know if it was this one but it loked like this. I also don't know if tightening the harness might have stopped her touching the wheel as she was leaning over to do it.

kalia said:
I saw someone using a pushchair like this and the child at the bottom was playing with the wheel and I was really worried she was going to trap her fingers! I don't know if it was this one but it loked like this. I also don't know if tightening the harness might have stopped her touching the wheel as she was leaning over to do it.

I know they have added mud guards to the wheels now, but I am still wondering if a LO could get their hand down to wheel height if they tried. Its on my list of things to look at more closely tomorrow.

I also read a review that said a toddler could undo the harness very easily. Hopefully its a problem they have fixed in the lastest version.

All in all, its about the only other pushchair I like. I just don't love it and it never appealed at all, even before I saw the Jane one. None of the other systems even began to appeal to me. I can't have a 4 wheeler and anything to plastic-y makes me go 'bleh'. I am also really picky about the shape of the handle, I can't stand them unless they are round. Anything else and it feels so awful to hold.

The other thing that bugs me about the P&T is that you can't put a change bag on the handle when you have a newborn in it as its liable to bash the cot :wall: So its either stash it underneath, get one of the saddle bags or carry it myself for the first few months.

I am really struggling with getting something other than the Jane. I'm almost tempted to still get the Jane buggy and find some other solution for the early months, but thats so expensive I can't really justify it :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Can i ask pls.. why have you changed your mind about the jane and the jane carseat? xx

keli said:
Can i ask pls.. why have you changed your mind about the jane and the jane carseat? xx

Well, bit of a long story but here goes....

The Matrix seat/lie flat pram didn't quite fit in the back seat of our main car as a rear facing car seat :wall: It fitted lying down across two seats just fine, and while we got the seat belt round the Matrix in car seat position, it had a bit of give in it we were not happy about. We knew it was a somewhat awkward seat to fit potentially, and that not all cars could cope with it, but our seatbelts were long enough supposedly.

We had it fitted at Mothercare and the woman attempting it could not even get the seatbelt to go round it there. However, hubby and I thought she hadn't tried too hard :roll: Grrrrrr the Rebel Pro baby carrier didn't fit either as not enough of the base of the seat came into contact with our car seat :wall: We went to our local independant baby shop that stocks it and they fitted the Matrix no problem, just we didn't like the slight give when travelling rear facing. I am sure it would not have been an issue as seatbelts are designed to stop on impact, but we went back to the drawing board as the whole point of getting the system as it was with buggy and Matrix was to have a child seat for the first 9 months that could also lie flat to travel and when out.

The only other system that came close to meeting our needs and wants was Phil & Ted's and I was still underwhelmed by it as it is much more lightweight and has no where near as much structure etc. The whole pram set up is intentionally light and flimsy and I had so many concerns about it all. And still that left us with no car seat for a baby to travel in. And no rear facing option for higher lie flat pram in the buggy.

I was gutted and still thought the Jane was the best thing out there by a mile. So did hubby.

Anyways, we went back to the independant store, had another look at the Jane Slalom Pro and Matrix and came to the conclusion it was the one for us still. Just that we would have to invest in a totally separate car seat for LO from birth till whenever. Not our ideal but rather that way than stuck with a travel system neither of us really loved and felt confident in. Easier to buy a car seat than a travel system we felt. So we now have this :)

largejaneslalomautostylgd1.jpg

and will use the Matrix from birth as a lie flat pram until LO is more able to sit upright a few months later and then as a rear facing buggy seat till LO is big enough to go into the buggy proper :)

And when in car and needing to travel in car seat we got this Britax one from birth to 4 years :) It tilts quite a long way back so my worries about a LO being sat too upright for too long are eased. Also it has a wedge under it to ensure it balances properly on sloping car seats like ours and is very well made and solid. It costs a bit more than a baby carrier but as it will last till age 4 we'll get our moneys worth out of it. And we shall use the Matrix as we had planned in the pram so nothing lost their either.

So while we toyed with other possibles, we still ended up re-ordering the Jane a few days ago, only not in coal yellow now but in Stylon (a very dark navy all over), which hubby is happy about as the coal yellow was rather bright :shock: :lol:

Both of us a happy with this solution, especially me as the Jane was the only travel system I'd even liked from the outset.

So erm yes :oops: :lol: It arrives in a couple of weeks :D

Am I the only one who doesn't like the P&Ts?

When I see a baby in one of those things underneath they always look like they've been shoved in as an afterthought :lol:

The first pic here just looks wrong to me.

phil_and_teds_baby+toddler_2toddlers.jpg

Urchin said:
Am I the only one who doesn't like the P&Ts?

When I see a baby in one of those things underneath they always look like they've been shoved in as an afterthought :lol:

The first pic here just looks wrong to me.

phil_and_teds_baby+toddler_2toddlers.jpg

That's where I got stuck also. It felt wrong having a baby that low stuck under a toddler. Mind you, we would only have the baby to start, but even then its still low and not ideal. And there is no real frame to it, its all material so very loose and moves around. Its also very long and I worried about a baby getting bashed or something as their head has no protection other than your legs when pushing it.

We looked at them long and hard last week and I could not get past a few of the design quirks. But it really was our only other option for our needs. So glad we went back to the Jane as I love that and really cannot find fault with the buggy or pram. Just annoying about the Matrix as a car seat but ah well.

Sherlock said:
That's where I got stuck also. It felt wrong having a baby that low stuck under a toddler. Mind you, we would only have the baby to start, but even then its still low and not ideal. And there is no real frame to it, its all material so very loose and moves around. Its also very long and I worried about a baby getting bashed or something as their head has no protection other than your legs when pushing it.

The pic you have shown does make it look awful i agree but the baby is not that low at all, unless you see it in the flesh i'm not suprised the pic puts you off , it did me, then when we tried it out we thought it was amazing. The baby isnt low at all and is very accessable and really close to you so you can see them which is lovely.

I dont get the bit about there being no frame to it and it definatly doesnt move around other than swinging from side to side slightly which soothes them to sleep instantly. If you use the cocoon they actually have a lot of padding? And are very well out of the elements and wind unlike a normal buggy.

kellysomer said:
I dont get the bit about there being no frame to it and it definatly doesnt move around other than swinging from side to side slightly which soothes them to sleep instantly. If you use the cocoon they actually have a lot of padding? And are very well out of the elements and wind unlike a normal buggy.

I don't know. When I saw it I felt it was low. Lower than I wanted for myself anyways. And I missed the rear facing aspect etc. And the car seat attachment really didn't appeal to me as an option to get round this. I also felt that there was some sway in it, as it really only has a very thin frame for the pram space, which while ok in one way, on the other, going over the ground we do here on the farm and surrounding countryside, I'd rather something more sturdy frame wise but with decent tyres and suspension etc so as to stand up to the wear and tear.

I also missed the brake on the handle. We have some steep hills round here and I like the thought of being able to apply a brake and have some extra control to get down the hills. Rather than relying on my own strength only and the foot brake when stopped, I can have the brake on the Jane and take some of the pressure off myself.

I think at the end of the day, it just didn't suit our needs and wants as much as the Jane. Some parts of it were good, I could see advantages, but I really didn't feel I would be happy with the choice for the next few years. So we went back to the Jane and I'm really content with it and feel I've chosen the right one for us.

Thank you for answering my question.. was asking because i'm thinking of getting the slalom pro and m cup and was thinking that maybe you'd read something that had put you off. thanks again :hug:

keli said:
Thank you for answering my question.. was asking because i'm thinking of getting the slalom pro and m cup and was thinking that maybe you'd read something that had put you off. thanks again :hug:

NP happy to have explained.

You really need to ensure the Matrix fits as a baby carrier, if thats what you plan to use it for in the car, in an upright position as they don't fit all cars. Often its the seatbelt length fails them.

Mothercare hardly tried to fit it and they are not trained to fit it in a lie flat postion so refused to show us and didn't want to give us the clips so we could try.

When we went to the independant store, they had to tilt the Matrix car seat, do seatbelt up and then slide it back into place till it was in the correct position. Had they not done this, the seatbelt would not have gone all the way round. But it did go, only I didn't like it moved a tiny bit when all in place.

Hence us opting for the Britax for car travel.

As a pram and buggy it was never a problem for us, just as a blooming baby carrier seat in the car.

I think its a great travel system and if you like it then go for it :)

keli said:

Have you looked at the Jane in the flesh? The only reason I ask is that I had my heart set on it, until I tried to lift the pushchair and the car seat, both of which were really heavy. In fact the bloke in Mothercare's first words were have you tried to lift it?! (Mind you I am a short wuss, so it might just be me!0

sass said:
Have you looked at the Jane in the flesh? The only reason I ask is that I had my heart set on it, until I tried to lift the pushchair and the car seat, both of which were really heavy. In fact the bloke in Mothercare's first words were have you tried to lift it?! (Mind you I am a short wuss, so it might just be me!0

I found it fine. Mind you I am far from small and am used to humping hay bales and 25kg sacks of feed round :lol: The Matrix is a bit on the heavy side but as we plan to only use it in the frame it won't be a problem for us.

It might not be as light as some out there, but for me its certainly more solid and durable.

I'm sure there are some who find it too heavy though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back