Periods and milk supply

moss

Reaction score
Jacob is still having loads of wet nappies, but I have been a little worried that he looks thinner lately. Last time he was weighed he was in the 75th percentile. He was born at about the 98th! No one seemed to mind too much, but I have just gotten my period (which I am completely shocked about). Could this have any implications for my supply? Could this also explain why he has been very, very fussy and upset when I have been feeding him for the past couple of days?

My answer to most of your questions to be honest is that I don't know. But I don't think you have anything to worry about. A lot of my friends (including me) had their periods back by 4 months without it causing any supply issues. Could he be having a growth spurt?

I wouldn't compare his birth percentile with now as in DD's case she had lots of mucus that she threw up and there could be various reasons for a different weight at birth I would have thought. What percentile was he at his 6 week check? Don't panic too much about the percentiles anyway - easier said than done, I know!

DD looks skinnier now but it's not because she is getting skinnier it, it's because she is getting taller. So her stomach is gradually expanding widthways but because the length of her is growing faster she doesn't have the same proportions, if you see what I mean. she fits into nappies for her weight range so I would guess this is normal.

I hope some of this helps :hug:

I don't think having your period has anything to do with your supply. I've been having them regular as clockwork since LO was 3 weeks old and its never affected my supply.

I'd also not get stressed by the whole centile growth chart thing. Even if you have a breastfed centile chart, don't read too much in to it.

Best bit of advice my HV gave to me with regards to the centile chart and weighing....

Once LO gets to 12 weeks stop weighing weekly and go over to monthly weigh ins, or every 2nd week if you don't feel able to go that long. Weighing them too often if they are happy, healthy, feeding well and having wet nappies etc she felt was counter productive as babies don't follow charts exactly and each baby is different.

I've not weighed LO weekly in months now and we are both fine for it :)

Thanks, I don't weigh him weekly because the clinic isn't at a time that I can make, but I have been worried about how he looks. I guess it's okay... I really don't know. He was at 98th still at six weeks, to answer that question. He looks fine in his clothes and I do think he is tall for his age, but it's hard to tell because I don't often see other babies. He is still in size small Motherease wraps despite being out of the weight range for them.

I had noticed Reggie seemed skinnier lately too and I asked at the last weigh in and they just said he is just burning more fat due to being more active, he doesnt crawl but he's alot more alert and active in other ways. He is also on the 75th centile. I wouldn't worry, he is probably just growing longer therefor appearing thinner and burning more of his baby fat :hug: xx

We just moved up to the M/L motherease wraps and as we did so realised that the medium had obviously been too small for ages but we hadn't noticed - they were fine on the waist and we thought at the leg too but now she is up a size the leg gusset fits round her beautifully where as in the smaller size there was a gap. I'm not suggesting that that is definately why they still fit but it's worth checking :oops: also they are designd to go over different sizes of nappies - fluffles are way bulkier than bamboozles for example.

If you are really worried go see a breastfeeding support person so they can check see he is latched and feeding properly. :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back