Ouch boob hurts!

Pregnopaws

Reaction score
I've been breast feeding LO for five weeks now and I'm a bit confused as my left boob is always so much bigger and fuller than the right no matter how much he sucks on either. Lately though, the left nipple is red and tender as hell aswell as inside the boob really kills when LO begins sucking, but once he gets into the feed it stops hurting. I also get alot of shooting pains coming from my armpit and down the boob all the time. This is annoying me as the other boob is absolutely fine and doesnt hurt in the slightest! Whats going on? Anyone else experience this? I do use the Lansinoh cream and have just taken a course of antiobiotics for a chest infection, so I figure that if I had any type of thrush or boob infection surely they would have cleared it up too! Anyone else get this horrible discomfort?

I don't have a lot of time as have to dash to the shops now but have you looked up Mastitus?

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/ar ... icleId=242

If it sounds like what you have, get to your GP's as soon as you can for some anti biotics to calm it down a bit :hug:

If not, I'll have another think later. Try and start your LO on that boob so it gets drained properly, or express from it (although that may make it worse?).

Someone else may have some better help but if the mastitus sounds like you, don't hang around cos a few girls on here can testify for how bad it can be if you leave it to get worse (midna for starters)

Thanks leckershell! Im not sure if it is mastitis as I don't feel any lumps though I wouldnt rule it out! Sometimesits a little hard and lumpy if he misses a feed when I give hiim a bottle. I'm going to try and express a bit now anyway just to see if its a build up thats causing it.

aaagh - that's how my mastitus started :( needed antibiotics for 3 weeks as I got it bad. But sounds like you can catch yours in time. I'm sure Midna and Squiglet will be around later to give you some help.

my right boob is always huge and full where my right is often soft and squidgy, but its not empty.

Sounds to me like beginnings of mastitis...I never had any lumps either, but I felt shivery, cold and generally crappy..also you need to feed often from the infected boob..and express in between too.

It could just be engorgement too, which can lead to mastitis, and therefore has similar symptoms. Often I have pain as you describe in my right boob in the nipple and armpit, when its engorged and when lil miss starts sucking... after a few moments it goes away. I know how cows feel now :rotfl: and now think that Vegans are milking cow haters :rotfl:

At night, I only offer one boob, my right so as to reduce am engorgement, leaking and pain.

Squiglet said:
At night, I only offer one boob, my right so as to reduce am engorgement, leaking and pain.

OK i'll try that, but then doesn't the other boob that is waiting patiently in the queue start to engorge lol??

I got Connor to practically empty the sore breast yesterday and felt alot better. I think my problem is that sometimes he will suck for 10-15 mins (sometimes only 5 mins) before falling asleep and I often lose track of which breast is up next and often he likes a quick suckle to settle himself to sleep not cos he is hungry. All this faffing around confuses my poor boobs!!! :wall:

I got one of these... well, similar... and it reminds you which side you last fed off and at which time. If you make sure to update it every time you feed of course.

I've a beige one that I don't use anymore if it's of use to you x

If you have mastitis, which it sound slike you may have the beginings of, please please please andI can't stress this enough, make sure you keep draining that breast and feeding from it, I know it hurts but you must, or it will get 10 x worse.

leckershell said:
I got one of these... well, similar... and it reminds you which side you last fed off and at which time. If you make sure to update it every time you feed of course.

ooooo thats such a good idea...wish I'd found one 7 weeks ago... :(

leckershell said:

wow I didnt know those things existed, wish I knew about these ages ago too!! Thanks for offering to give me yours hun but I wouldnt want to put you through the bother of posting to Spain and by the time I receive it Connor would probably be 2 years old! :wall: xx

Tasha20 said:
If you have mastitis, which it sound slike you may have the beginings of, please please please andI can't stress this enough, make sure you keep draining that breast and feeding from it, I know it hurts but you must, or it will get 10 x worse.

Thanks for the advice :hug: I've been trying to do this all night, but he only sucked for about 10 minutes every 2 hours last night before falling asleep and refusing anymore. My breasts were leaking everywhere so I think I might have to express at night too which I'll find really awful as I find it a huge struggle to stay awake. :x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back