• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Organising 1st LO when 2nd LO is due

daddychris

Reaction score
Hi all, just looking for others experiences when 2nd LO is due. OH is due in January but we will be ready to go anytime around Christmas onwards. We have Charlotte to bear in mind this time too. Grandparents have said that they will look after her when we have to rush away, and it may be easier as it will be over Christmas holidays so they will have more time (OH's father still works and will need to go back to work at some point).
What did everyone else do, are there any major things we need to think about regarding Charlotte (we don't want her to feel very neglected especially as this is a big change in her life style).
Any answers would be great. Thanks.

It's a good question this one!

For the birth our plan is for my mum to have Lucy until baby is born and we're ready, then my OH will go and bring Lucy to the hospital. My main concern is for her to feel important by being the first to meet LO (after us) and then being there when other visitors arrive so she can show them her new brother/sister.

We're also getting Lucy a present from the baby and Lucy has already chosen a gift to give to the baby too.

BEcasue we're doing the nursery we've done Lucy's bedroom too - nothing too expensive, just some new curtains and duvet and a bookcase for her books and toys etc.

I think in general we're just going to make her feel important because she's big sister and let her have priority over anyone else cuddling the baby and ask her to help with nappies etc. It's a bit easier for us as she's a bit older than your daughter but she loves changing her dollies so it's just another step from that.

well i have TWO to think of!

my youngest isnt really sure whats going on, ive been showing him pictures in books of babies and then pointing to my tummy and saying baby. i dont think he understands, but maybe in his world he does! :think:

were doing the present thing too, and making sure that they pick out some clothes for her to wear when she's here etc. im going to get my eldest to help sort my bag out and baby's bag for the hospital.

*Star* said:
im going to get my eldest to help sort my bag out and baby's bag for the hospital.

Ooh I like that one, Lucy will love to help pack the baby's things! :D

Hi there,

Congratulations on your pregnancy :cheer:

I must admit we are extremely lucky on this front my mother and step father will drop everything at a moments notice if I have needed them which has happened twice so far!! All going well my circumstances are a little different now as I am due to be induced which means we are able to plan them coming to look after our son for as long as we need them.. well its my mum that is staying during the week and step dad at the weekend. But my motto is never say never this LO still could appear!

Like Star we are also getting presents from our LO for our son and vice versa and I know that a few of the family are doing the same, as it is a major thing for them, he is fully aware mummy has his brother in her tummy all he keeps asking is "when can I cuddle?" he has been at all my midwife appointments and loves the sound of the babies heart beat.

My son is 30 months old so is very independant so I can't imagine him not wanting to help with his brother, he helps around the house with the washing and pegging out clothes so helping with the nappies and bottles etc is another great way to have the interaction with the baby.

Good luck and your very sensible planning ahead.
Kathy

Good question!!

We had arranged for MIL/FIL to have our son when I went into labour, MIL is a childminder who works from home and FIL is retired so I knew that there wouldn't be any problems with them being out at work!

I bought Jacob a present from Chloe and put it in the basket she was lying in in the hospital for him to get out. I also asked for everyone to be out of the room when he was going to see mummy again with his sister so that we could show him the attention without everyone else cooing over the baby.

It is only recently that he has started to show signs of jealousy and being naughty creating attention. He has also realised that Chloe gets cuddled when she cries, so we have a lot of fake crying going on and him then asking for a cuddle!!

It is hard times, but I am told that it does pass - I hope that it does, and soon!!

Good luck, let us know how you get on :D

Xxx

Thanks for all the ideas. We have talked about getting Charlotte a doll so she can do with the doll what we do with the new baby (minus the breastfeeding (there aren't any dolls that do that, they all come with bottles but that is another question for the forum)) I do like the idea that little brother can give her the present. At 18 months, I am sure that Charlotte will be aware of some upheaval but not fully aware of the change that it will present to us as a family.
With parents around over christmas I am sure that they will be watching andrea like a hawk for any twinge or sign (my mum said her parents were exactly the same with my sister) but if the baby doesn't come til after christmas it will be nice for charlotte to have them around to get used to them looking after her for long periods without mummy and daddy.

Just thought :think: do I seem really paranoid thinking this all through when we are still over three months away!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back