OPK Question

NickNack

Reaction score
Hello Ladies

Just a quick question or two or maybe three....

When you are using OPK's when is the best time to BD to be in for the best chances?

I have been told so many different things.

Some say from day 8 - 16
Some say 5 days prior to but cause once u OV there is no point? (but how can u establish when 5 days prior is)
Some say as soon as you get a positive on an OPK

My other question is when you get a positive on an OPK is that the actual day you are ovulating or does that indicate the lead up to Ovulation?

Me and hubby work random hours and the doctor has told us to BD every 2-3 days throughout the month to capture Ovulation but our jobs are too demanding at the moment and most of the time we are too knackered so need a bit of structure round it?

Also does the quality of sperm change the more you BD as when my hubby did his sperm test they told him to refrain from sex for 5 days prior to doing the test?

If anyone can give me some advise that would be greatly appreciated.

Xxxxxx

Xxxxxx

Hiya

From reading around on the subject, after an OPK goes positive, you will most likely ovulate within 12-36 hours.

The best chance of 'catching' the egg are to BD from 2 days before ovulation uptil & including the day of ovulation itself (so optimal 3 day window).

In theory sperm can live in a friendly environment between 3-5 days so potentially the earlier BD could contribute but statistically the chances are low.

In Feb, I got a positive OPK on the afternoon of the 12th. We BD on 13th & 14th (as well as the 10th) and I got pregnant that month.

In terms of sperm quality, I've heard it's best if the man regularly ejaculates, say at least every 3-4 days, so certainly BD every 2 days wouldn't be bad if you have energy enough to manage it :)

xx

Last edited:
My gp, nhs consultant and private consultant all say have sex every 2 to 3 days throughout the cycle. I think that's a bit extreme as I use opks and chart so I follow my body closely to see when I will ov. We bd generally every 2-3 days from about day 8 and as soon as I see a opk with a dark almost + line we so it every day until my chart confirms I have ovulated.

So the OPK shows the lead up to ovulation and not actual ovulation? Is that right?

So the OPK shows the lead up to ovulation and not actual ovulation? Is that right?

Hi, thats right an opk will show your surge and you will normally ov between 12 - 36 hours thereafter!

xx

An opk is to test for the LH hormone. It is released by your body in a big surge. This surge showsa up as + on the stick. Ovulations occurs about 12-36 hrs later. There is always a snall amount of ": in your body which is why at other times of your cycle u may still see a second line. Remember a second line does not mean its + also a + opk does not mean that u have ovulated , just that the surge has happened.

Thank you ladies..that makes so much more sense now. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back