Opinions on Sterilizing..........

SuziQ

Reaction score
Hello....

I need a bit of help/advice/opinons....

At the moment, for every feed... I put on my sterilizer and kettle 30 mins before...
So I am sterilizing everything abut 6 times a day... whether i use them or not... is ths right? CAn I just take out sterilzed bottles and assemble them... and use them within a certain amount of hours??

At night.. I use ready-made cartons of aptamil.. which is a bit expensive.... but I do n't mind as it's easy!! (once I've made sure the sterilizer has been on....)

Must be easier than this .... surely... :pray:

xx

yes im sure you can keep them for 24hours once sterilised??

i sterilise all her bottles then pour 3.5oz of boiling water in them and keep them in the cupboard

when she wants a feed, i take a bottle (the water will have cooled by now), then top the water up using boiled water out the kettle to 7oz, then put 7 scoops in.

i make a bottle for bed in the same way, but put the powder in a powder dispenser and take a flask of boiling water to bed with me!

:wave:
We do the same as you Kim but we add 1oz of just boiled water to 5oz of cooled water... do you cool down the bottle after adding the boiling water? We have found adding anymore than 1oz to the cooled water it's just too hot...

We sterlise as we go along, but yes, as logn as you use within 24hours it should be OK (that's what I have read/been advised).

no we dont cool it down, always seems the right temp :think:
if i only add 1oz of boiling water then it doesnt seem to mix well with powder and the powder sticks to the side??

The Avent instructions say that the bottles are sterlised for 6 hours.. IF I don't take the lid of.... Are they being serious!!!
Why would i sterilise anything if I'm not going to use something out of it... but then I make it "un-sterile"??

:x :oops: :shock:

x

I sterilise 3 or 4 bottles at a time so that I've always got some bottles ready. I always use these bottles within 24 hours.

Gene
xxx

Gene said:
I sterilise 3 or 4 bottles at a time so that I've always got some bottles ready. I always use these bottles within 24 hours.

Gene
xxx

This is what i do also

xx

Once sterilized, as in after they've been in solution for 30mins, or microwaved etc you can make up the bottle, then if you put it in the fridge it remains sterile for 24hrs. Once you add water and powder is when bacteria can start to grow and cause problems if fed to LO.

When we used to do Isaac's bottles at unGodly hours, we would have some cold water, then add the rest to desired oz of freshly boiled water, so it was hot but not as hot, so the powder mixed correctly. After a few attempts you do find which measurements work best :)

http://www.enfamil.com/app/iwp/Content4 ... structions

Try a cold water steriliser instead. Much easier and lasts 24 hours in there before it needs changing!

i had a boots steam sterillizer and it said it only kept the sterillized for 3 hours so ive moved onto a cold water sterillizer now and thats much easier. Only need to change the water once a day and just bring a bottle out when i need it. If i go out i bring the bottle full of the sterillized water and just chuck it when i make the bottle.

i sterilise once in 24 hrs..take bottles out put fresh boileed water in let them cool and store in the fridge.

forgot to say, we use cold water steriliser too. One of us changes the water around tea time between 5 and 6 pm.

lisa&alex said:
i sterilise once in 24 hrs..take bottles out put fresh boileed water in let them cool and store in the fridge.

This is what I do as well.

DebbieM said:
Try a cold water steriliser instead. Much easier and lasts 24 hours in there before it needs changing!

I changed to a cold water one as it is so much easier. x

So is it wrong for me to be making 4 bottles up with the formula and storing those in the fridge after using the steam steriliser?

Im soooooo confused

:?

1sttimemum said:
So is it wrong for me to be making 4 bottles up with the formula and storing those in the fridge after using the steam steriliser?

Im soooooo confused

1sttimemum I cannot say its wrong, everyone has differing opinions, what you do is what my best friend did with her 2 sons, and they were fine, lots of parents still do that and have healthy babies, the new guidelines on making up bottles says to make them fresh each time, you know if your baby's fine with it :hug: :hug: :hug:

I make up the bottles with cooled boiled water for the day and then add the formula when I need it. We have powder dispensers that fit into the top of our bottles.

I make up the bottles with cooled boiled water for the day and then add the formula when I need it. We have powder dispensers that fit into the top of our bottles.

what bottles do you use? because i use comfort milk i always have to make milk up from scratch when im out. Ive got a seperate powder dispenser but if you can buy bottles with powder dispensers sounds like a much better buy!

1sttimemum said:

Im soooooo confused

Not at all. i sterilize and make up 3 or 4 bottles in the morning and in the evening and store them in the fridge and just make sure there used within 24 hours

Ohhh thats good then, i did just get soooo confused.

But that is how i have always known anyone in my family to make the bottles up and like others have said, their kids never had any problems.

The guidlines are forever changing though arnt they!!

One year they say 1 glass of alcohol is ok, the next they recommend no alcohol!!

:wall: :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back