On the topic of maternity leave

moss

Reaction score
I'm really down about this. I was being led to believe my temporary contract would definitely be extended but it is ending this week because of university budget cuts. They really wanted to keep me on and are going to fall way behind in my department because the only other woman in my office works 15 hours a week maximum and has just returned from maternity leave. This also means there is a very good chance I won't get any kind of maternity pay. I'm a student as well and not on benefits so I can't get the Sure Start Grant. I'm in deep trouble! I am trying to get something temporary until the last minute before the baby arrives, but it's hard to find work in Dundee. I have no idea how I am going to survive. My husband has a job but it isn't very well paid, we are both students and too old to delay studying any longer (besides then I would lose my student loan and free council tax)... I just don't know what to do! I keep having to stop myself from crying in my office! It is so embarrassing!

Can you claim Maternity Allowance, it isn't paid by your employers. Basically you fill in a form ( a very long one!) and you can then send them 15 (i think) weeks payslips from ANYTIME during the last 66 weeks - so you can choose your highest paid ones and then you will either get the maximum of around £117 a week or if your average weekly income is less than that then it is 90% of the average.

I'll find a link for you

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCp/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/Dev_008115.xml.html
That's also got a link to the form which you can fill in online and print off or just print off and hand fill.
I don't know your circumstances but you should be able to claim that!

Also - you can start maternity allowance from 29 weeks - and if you claim as soon as you can (26 weeks for the form i think) then they can start paying you very soon! If you'll be employed for longer than when you are 29 weeks then start it the week you stop working.

For a low income you should be able to get child tax credits once baby is born - and you can get a surestart grant then.

xx

If I don't get something temporary then I won't be able to get maternity allowance because it took me so long to find a job when I moved, and I didn't work enough previously because I was in an intense college course.

I hadn't thought of getting the SSG after the baby is born, thanks! That makes me feel a bit better. :]

just a suggestion but speak to the CAB as I *think* there are rules about pregnancy and extending temp contracts that may or may not apply to you......

aww hun :hug: i had a bit of stress over maternity pay ( my work still havnt sorted it even though i could be on it now!) and it really got me down.

I still dont know for definate if i'll be paid maternity from work or not but they have been very good and i can imagine the stress of not having a job and trying to save for baby. Hope its sorted soon

Thanks everyone. I will speak to CAB and yes, it is so stressful. I'm trying to be calm but there are so many things I need to buy, and this being my last week isn't helping at all. It's why I have been so negative with all of my posts here lately. I'm sorry for that. I am trying to be positive, but it's hard!

I haven't noticed any negative posts hun and judging by your situation, I'm not suprised you're stressed! There must be something you can do to get the Sure Start grant? I would speak to CAB too, they'll be able to help you with all that. It's hard to make any kind of plans until you have some path to go down and you can only know that once you've spoken to CAB!

Hope you get an appointment soon so you can sort something out :hug: xx

Aww moss :hug: I'm not surprised you are a bit stressed. Hopefully talking it through with the CAB will give you more options. Let us know how you get on :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back