norethisterone to delay periods....

liz_milne

Reaction score
hi girls this might sound a strange topic.....but.........

has anyone taken norethisterone to delay their periods?

I am going on holiday end of the month and I will be due on either at start, middle or near the end of the holiday. Either way I will be bleeding at some point. As it is a beach/pool holiday and the first we have had in a long long time, obviously I don't want AF ruining the party!

i was going to speak to my gp about norethisterone, as I would rather take this than go on the pill. That is NOT a route I want to go down. How will the norethisterone affect me in terms of continuing to TTC after taking it? Will it cause any problems? i.e. will it stop me ovulating etc.?

Just want honest opinions on this, from those that have taken it either to stop AF for the same reasons, or for any other reason and what bad things could come out of taking it? I'm sure the doc wouldn't prescribe it if it would affect fertility would he? He is aware that we are actively TTC?

Gosh I don't know I sound really selfish asking this question, but I don't want to put my life on hold for TTC and feel that I really really need this holiday and don't want that evil bitch there, she is not invited and I want to invalidate her passport so she can't come with me lol.

liz x
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...5oE5W_ac-uUand6Cg&sig2=gGoxIfozhLWVZuo1XjXEiA

Hi liz, I have taken this drug before, it really does work, but you have to take it 3 times a day which is the only irritating thing. Also I found that I had cramps all the way through the time when AF was due and should have been happening, so you might find you have lots of AF symptoms but no actual AF if that makes sense.
However, I was not TTC while taking it, so not sure what the effects on that would be, obviously discuss this with your GP.

Ok thanks for replying x

Sent from my HTC One S

Hi i have also taken it and works really well - i agree it is a bit of a pain that you have to take a tablet three times a day!

Not sure about the ttc i would ask dr when you go in.

xx

Glad to hear it works then, I knew about the 3 tablets a day for the duration so that's not a problem. Can u drink on them?

Sent from my HTC One S

Lol that's alright then.....if u couldn't then i would rather have af than go tea totalled on holiday lol

Sent from my HTC One S

I've taken Norethisterone a few times in the past and swear by it. Works really well, although you do get a bit of a heavier breakthrough bleed afterwards. I think my cycle after the breakthrough was possibly a few days longer, but it settled by the second one, so can't think it affected ovulation in any way. I wasn't TTC at the time, but was pregnant about 6 cycles later (by which time we were TTC). Hope that helps in some way.

hi liz, i havent been in ttc for a while, are you still ttc? i can see from your ticker that you describe your cycles as messed up, if so i think taking the norethisterone is a bad idea. this medication is basically a progesterone that will keep your womb linig intact so it doesnt shed it as a period. its a personal choice but if u are trying to get everything back into sync taking artificial hormones may not be ideal. check with your gp.

Not messed up as such just was late this cycle lol x

Sent from my HTC One S

I hate the pill!!! So Norethisterone was great when I wanted to delay my period for a while. I was a mess on the pill emotionally and weight wise so I was dreading taking this pill BUT (AND THIS RELATES TO THE BIT ABOUT TTC) period delay Norethisterone doesn't have the same contraceptive quality as the mini pill (which is also a progesterone only pill). The dose would be too low to effect your fertility although it obviously won't help much while you are taking it, I mean for those few days that you are taking it. My clinic give me 30 and this covers me for 10 days. Oh, ps, I go to The Online Clinic cause they are efficient and it's way handier than going to my doc when I need them which is very rarely anyway. 10 days will hopefully be enought for you. They say not to go beyond 3 cycles but I reckon one is enough. Hope that helps a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back