Nhs recurrent mc testing

Sue Clare

Reaction score
Can anybody answer my questions please?

1)if you've had 3 recurrent mc, what investigations/tests are carried out?
2)How long until the results come back?

Xx

Hi hon,

I have just had my 4th one about 6 1/2 weeks ago and I have been referred to London to see Prof Lesley Regan at the RMC at St Mary's Hospital.

I am due to be seen on the 28th August but no idea how long the results take to come back x

Hi Sue,

I saw that your scan this morning went OK?

So I am not sure exactly why you are asking but anyhoo - this is my experience.

I had 3 miscarriages in the space of 7 months last year (@ 8 w, 5w and 6w) so they were all early and all occured naturally. That doesn't change the fact I was in bits and thought I'd never manage to have a healthy pregnancy

GP referred me in November 2011, we had our appointment in Jan 2012 and got results in March 2012.

We went to UCH in London and the main things they tested for were

1) Womb abnormalities - internal scan for me
2) My blood - blood test
3) My Egg quality - blood test
4) Chromosome disorder - blood test for both me and OH.

They also looked at my hormone levels, my antiboidies, my thyroid and a few other things. I had two internals on certain cycle days and I gave 14 vials of blood in one sitting (it wasn't that bad :shock:). I also had to go back for a few more blood tests on various cycle days.

They did advise us that only 30% of recurrent miscarriages have an actual cause and that for most couples it is purely down to rotten luck!

I was also advised that if there was a problem with any of the above I'd need treatment. They said treatments could be:

1) Womb abnormalities - If I had cysts or anything wrong I could need surgery to correct
2) My blood - If I had sticky blood I would need a series of injections
3) My Egg quality - this could lead to IVF
4) Chromosome disorder - this could lead to IVF.

We got our 4th BFP the day before we got our results and as it turned out we fell into the 70% that just had rotten luck!! Our tests showed no reason at all for our losses.

The consultant said there was no reason for this pregnnacy to be successful and he gave me a prescription for high dose Folic Acid (I had to ask for this)

I hope you don't need to have any of these tests?

xxxxxxxxxx

Guess I'm just a very negative person. Lol x

Oh bless you Sue!

I hope this one is your sticky

xxxxxxx

Carnat sent me the reply earlier about what tests - it was a big help to know what I faced when I went last week to clinic. I had to have a second scan after the first one showed a possible problem... scary times, but happy ending thankfully.

Time frame wise, it took 6 weeks to get the first appt, the bloods were done on the same day (I had 11 vials), and the first scan 3 days later (as this was the cycle part they wanted to check) and second scan a week later. My follow up to discuss all the results with the consultant is on 19/9/12.4

Good luck with it, I must admit I've found the process quite upsetting and stressful, but i think it was the bit where there was a week thinking there was a womb problem for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zain mansoor
Back