New here and looking for advice

Mrs Sam

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

my name is Sam. I've never been on a forum like this before but i need some advice and thought this might be the place to try.

Some background i guess. When i was about 13 i was put on the pill due to very very heavy periods, pain and sickness with it. I stayed on it for around 2 years and my periods settled. Then when I was 17 I went back on it for contraceptive reasons. I stayed on it for around 8 years and finally came off it and began to try for children shortly after getting married.

I'm now 27. I've been off the pill for almost 2 years. At first my periods were very heavy and irregular but now they have settled to a 35day cycle. However my periods only last a day or two at the most and are pretty light, sometimes almost none existant. I still get some pretty severe cramping though for a few days either side.

With regards to ovulation I have the egg white mucus at appropriate times and each month i also get some pretty severe ovary pains, like this month i'm actually off work because the pains in my right side mean i can't straighten up. These pains have been happening for around a year now.

So me and my husband have been trying for 2 years. We try to time things right and i would say out of the last 2 years we've probably had 7 or 8 months where we should have had some sort of success.

I've had a lot of stress in my life especially over the past few years and i do suffer from some mental health problems and have been on medication which has made me put on a large amount of weight but this hasn't been the case the whole time we've been trying.

I'm starting to get worried now that its never going to happen.

I did once mention it to a nurse but i didnt want to go too much into it because i was scared that she'd think bad of me for having mental health problems and trying for a child.

So any advice? Am i doing something wrong? Is 2 years a normal amount of time to not fall pregnant?

Thank you

xxx

Hi Sam

Welcome to the forum.

If I were you I'd go and see your GP, as they usually will see you if you've been trying for at least a year without success.
I was off the pill for a year and a half before we managed it and similar to you i would say that in that time period there shoud have been about 7 months where we thought we had the timings right. I never went to my GP though, and earlier this year started taking my temperature daily to track my ovulation, which didnt last too long as it is best to do it when you wake up but also the same time every day and I am not one for waking up at 6.30am at the weekends!

In Feb this year we moved house and then went on holiday over Easter to Tenerife, and took a more relaxed approach to baby making. I thought I ovulated on a monday but from my dates it looks like it was the following friday, so even though you might be getting pains and all the ovulation symptoms you may still not ovulate for a few days.

Good luck to you and deffo try to see your GP, especially if you are having to take time off work for ovulations pains. The first step would probably be to do a blood test to check your hormone levels.

xxx

Hi Sam, I dont really have any advice for you, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum *waves* and just to say that everyone here is so friendly and helpful. I really hope you manage to get through your problems and conceive soon, there may be nothing wrong with you, these things take time and vary from woman to woman.

I also wanted to say that as someone who has recovered from her own mental health issues, I dont think anyone would think badly of you wanting a child - it is the most natural thing in the world to do!

Thank you both for replying.

I do plan to go to the doctors at some point although the nurse said my husband should get checked out first as it was the easiest thing to rule out. I think i'll give it another month or two as it will have then been over two years.

I'm also still in active treatment for my mental health problems which are going to be long term which is why i've not been so active in finding out why i'm having trouble conceiving. Although, i do think this is having a pretty big impact on my stress levels which i suppose doesnt help.

I think i do need to relax a little about it. I do have other issues which may relate but i dont think its a 2nd post story!

thanks

xxx

Hiya :waves: I agree with the others, go and have a chat with your doctor about trying to conceive. Book an appointment for just that, don't try to bring it up amoungst another reason for being there or you will only get fobbed off, remember they are on a time limit with the patient list and never listen if it's an 'extra' thing. Also maybe you are taking some medication that reduces your chances? Or something that could even hurt your baby if you did? So it's worth getting a full appointment to go over all that! Best of luck! I know from personal experience how hard it is to convince your husband to do the same, but see if you can, his doctor might also be able to help you both. Oh, and get pushy if necessary, I had to! Hope to chat lots more. Starfish xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back