need hand-expressing advice!

trixipaws

Reaction score
b4 i invest in a pump i thought i'd try millie on boied water in a bottle just to make sure she'll take a bottle- she wouldnt! so, i thought i'm still not sure whether its the bottle she dislikes or if she just didnt want water. so i thought i'd hand-express into it to see if she'd take that.
the thing is, in the afternoon/evening i dont hav as much milk (not like in the morning when i'm literally dripping! :roll: ) so the only way i could get some out was AFTER she'd been feeding when she'd started the flow going. then when i offered her the bottle she wouldnt take it! but i still dont kno whether its the bottle she dislikes or if she just wasnt hungry!
what do u all think? is it likely shes not gonna take the bottle? :(
i guess i'll hav 2 wait til 2mro morning and make her wait for her breakfast while i squeeze it into a bottle to see if she'll hav it!
unless theres a magical way to express in the evening without nursing first???

what kind of teat are you using, i find the tommie tippie closer to nature bottles excellant, when bailey was in hospital he wouldnt take to the advent bottles so i changed over to tommi tippi ones and he took to them..

as for expressing without her being latched on, try a warm flannel just before you attempt to express this can get the flow going, gently massage the breast as well i find this gets the flow going to..

but then again she may have got used to your breast and doesnt like bottles, as you say wait till shes hungary then try again hun.. im sure she will get on with them... turn her head slighty towards you so she thinks she is on the breast i did that til bailey got used to bottles again..

good luck! :hug:

My friends little girl just had her first bottle at 2months old and she wasn't very happy about it, and so my friend would get her latched on, then switch to the bottle, and her little girl started feeding from the bottle fine.
Breasts produce more milk through the night time and so it would make sense you'd have more available in the morning, its something to do with when we were cavemen and it was safer feeding of a night, the breasts still produce the same way :D

I second the Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles. Ellie happily switched between these and breast in the first few weeks when I was having to express one breast because it was so painful. I had bought some Mothercare self sterilising ones, Ellie could not get on with those teats at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back