NCT?

Tw1nkle

Reaction score
Hiya,

Just received the info for the NCT classes - £144!!!!! for what seems like a few hours!!!!
Are they worth it?

The cost also includes a £39 membership fee - is anyone a member, and is it worth it? What do you get for your membership?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!

I went to the classes and loved them - I met a great bunch of people who I'm still in regular touch with and meet up with (we're having a joint 1st NCT babes birthday party next week) and it really helped us to prepare for my (home) birth, particularly OH who hadn't done all the reading I had. The classes covered so much and I found them really interactive and informative and helped to get our minds on what was about to happen!

OH couldn't go to our local NHS classes (although I did) as he's a teacher and couldn't get any time out of class (its not a paternal right, although it is a maternal one).

I wouldn't pay for the membership though, they can't make you - its a con - you don't get anything more for the membership in my opinion - my membership has now run out and I'm definitely not missing anything. I think the 'membership' is more like a 'donation to the NCT', which is all well and good - but in my opinion, an unnecessary expense at an expensive time!

Valentine Xxx

I have signed up for NCT classes as a few people (including Valentine!) have told me they are worth it, also my husband won't be able to come to the ones organised at the local health centre.
The membership fee is optional - you can just deduct that from the total cost! That's what I did :oops:

Ditto everything Valentine said.
Definitely worth going to the classes just to meet other couples in the same boat as you. Membership is a total waste of money. NCT is a charity though so if you support their goals then you might want to join for that reason.
Lucyx

I personally didnt find any antinatal classes of any use, yes i met some nice ladies but i think i met as many in the midwifes waiting room :wink:

I went to the classes and loved them, aslo joined as a memeber.

AS a memeber you get to go into the local sales earlier than everyone else and get some great bargains.

There are also follow up groups, our class still meets for coffee on monday mornings with members who had their babies 6 months ago for advice and support.
Also local bumps and babes coffee mornings but you don't have to be a member to go to those.

Sandi

I was going to ask this question too but have since found out that there are a few classes available on the NHS so im gonna stick with them. I looked on the NCT website though and they have meet ups for babies and bumps (for first time mums) do you have to be a member to go along to them?

Claire x

As said before, met lots of nice people there, we still meet up every week. Not sure about the actual classes, our leader was very anti-intervention, which is fine, but meant that we maybe didn't get as much information about intervention as we should have - especially as I had a 58 hour labour followed by emergency section! I think I'd still recommend them tho, NHS ones were fine, but not everyone turned up every week, so not much bonding took place. Also OH couldn't go, so it was just me!

We found our NCT classes very useful - hubby more so than me as I work in the medical field so had a good understand of what it's all about! We did not pay the membership fee - only the fee for the course. Yes, you can get into the NCT nearly-new sales earlier, but only 15mins earlier!

I have to say the main benefit of the classes (other than hubby learning lots of stuff!) was making new friends. Out of the 6 couples who attendedm, 2 of them are now very good friends and we meet up (well, us girls do) once or twice a week. The support we have been able to give each other throughout the past 8 months has been invaluable - and frequent middle-of-the-night texting when our babies were waking / feeding was wonderful support. It is so lovely to see our 3 girls growing up together and we hope they will remain friends for a long time.

I did not attend the NHS class that was offered by the GP surgery, but I did go to the post-natal ones they did (feeding / health / sleeping / teething / weaning etc). I also found these useful but did not keep in touch with any of the girls there.

I really loved my NCt class, mainly because of the very very close friendships I have made. I see my NCT friends three days a week and they have been my rock through the past few months.
The course itself was interesting and fun, but mainly for my hubby, as I already knew a lot of the stuff from reading and from the forum.
I did pay the membership fee, but I do use many of the other services such as Bumps and Baby groups etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back