• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

my brother is in hospital :( - very rare virus :(

rhian85

Reaction score
he was admitted yesterday as his walking wasnt right..doc sent him straight to the ward, he has a very bad viral infection affecting his nervous system and his mobility its a very rare virus but they dont know enough about it yet. they have given him a lumba puncture and he is having somebody elses antibodies to see if it attacks the virus..i feel so sorry for him he is 21 and cant walk hhe has no control over his legs and now his back is going..the poor thing has to go to the loo with a nurse and be showerd by a nurse.

he must feel awful having this at 21 years old..and the worst thign is he is in york and im in north wales :( :( :( the doctor has told him he could be in hospital for a minimum of 4 weeks but its looking like months :( :( :( :(

will n more later when i have rung him after ward round :( :( :(

Oh no :( Whats the virus called, sounds simular to what happened to a good friend of mine :hug: :hug: :hug:

im not to sure what its called yet i havent really had chance to speak to him, ill let u know when i know. :hug:

he has something called "guillia-barre syndrome" very rare..they have given him a full antibodie transplant but if his body attacks that too they havent got a plan B yet..today he has lost use in his arms/hands/fingers :( :( :(

rhian85 said:
he has something called "guillia-barre syndrome" very rare..they have given him a full antibodie transplant but if his body attacks that too they havent got a plan B yet..today he has lost use in his arms/hands/fingers :( :( :(

You mean 'guillain-barre syndrome'? that is what my friend had she was 19 at the time, she was in a wheel chair & in hospital for a while, when she came out she needed walking sticks to walk but with physio she has now made a full recovery... hope your brother does too. Let me know if u have any questions xx

happy_chick said:
rhian85 said:

You mean 'guillain-barre syndrome'? that is what my friend had she was 19 at the time, she was in a wheel chair & in hospital for a while, when she came out she needed walking sticks to walk but with physio she has now made a full recovery... hope your brother does too. Let me know if u have any questions xx

my bro is 21 i have heard that it can paralyis the chest and so some patients have to be sedated and put in ITU is that right ? god im worried now :( how long was your friend in hospital for ? they have told him it could be 1-6 months :shock:

my friend also had this,she was only in hospital a month or so, and she fully recovered
and has a baby now, i think its rare that it gets that bad hun, hope he is better soon :hug:

rhian85 said:
happy_chick said:
rhian85 said:

my bro is 21 i have heard that it can paralyis the chest and so some patients have to be sedated and put in ITU is that right ? god im worried now :( how long was your friend in hospital for ? they have told him it could be 1-6 months :shock:

As far as i'm aware they watch the patients breathing really carefully as if the virus spreads to the lungs this can make the patient not be able to breathe properly and panic therefore they will be sedated and taken to ICU where they will help with their breathing until they are stronger. This doesnt always happen so try not to worry (easier said that done I know) its just one of the risks with the virus.

My friend was in hospital for a couple of months as far as I can remember, im not 100% sure tho as it was a long while ago now but I can ask her if it helps? x

that awfull , hope he recovers really quick , how scarey for him and you all :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back