• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My 6 year old wont answer er name in register

EllieG

Reaction score
Since she started school, no , infact make that preschool, Charlotte has refused to answer her name in register or talk in show and tell( her excuse is that you don't HAVE to tell, you can just show :wall: . I really thought it would get better with age but it hasnt, she just seems more determined not to answer. If her friends walk passed her she wont say hello, yet she is apparently very popular and chatty in the play ground and will talk to adults one on one. It is really worrying me, any ideas as to what i can do? The teacher was going to bring in a puppet for her to talk to :shock:

Doesn't sound like she's particularly shy - she's chatty with friends and will talk to adults one on one. So I don't know how much the puppet will help.

Sounds more like she has cleverly found something she can control that drives adults to distraction :wink: as you said she is more determined not to answer.

I'd ask the teacher to stop calling her name in the register and to stop asking her to participate in show and tell etc, but not to tell her why, or give her any attention for it...just skip over her with no mention. Might be worth trying for a few weeks to see if she stops getting any attention (positive or negative) for it, she may stop the behaviour and ask to be involved again.

Doesn't sound like she's particularly shy - she's chatty with friends and will talk to adults one on one. So I don't know how much the puppet will help.

Sounds more like she has cleverly found something she can control that drives adults to distraction :wink: as you said she is more determined not to answer.

I'd ask the teacher to stop calling her name in the register and to stop asking her to participate in show and tell etc, but not to tell her why, or give her any attention for it...just skip over her with no mention. Might be worth trying for a few weeks to see if she stops getting any attention (positive or negative) for it, she may stop the behaviour and ask to be involved again.

Thanks for your reply Libs, I think you are right, she does a lot of attention seeking behaviour, also with food, she is a really bright little girl so probably was not hard for her to cotton on. I do try and make charlotte time each day :? . I think I will talk with the teacher again, she has a new teacer this year, I will also stop asking her if she answerd her name when she comes in from school.
Being a mummy is hard sometimes........

I agree with Libs. Also definately don't ask (I know that will be hard) as you are making an issue out of it and if she says that she didn't answer her name say on well and play it down.

EllieG said:
Since she started school, no , infact make that preschool, Charlotte has refused to answer her name in register or talk in show and tell( her excuse is that you don't HAVE to tell, you can just show :wall: . I really thought it would get better with age but it hasnt, she just seems more determined not to answer. If her friends walk passed her she wont say hello, yet she is apparently very popular and chatty in the play ground and will talk to adults one on one. It is really worrying me, any ideas as to what i can do? The teacher was going to bring in a puppet for her to talk to :shock:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: i lkove it! i love a spirited child :rotfl:

budge said:
EllieG said:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: i lkove it! i love a spirited child :rotfl:
:rotfl: Thats just it, she is very spirited, a total individual, she hated tv loves to play imaginary games, she really is very bright, a cheeky rascal I think :rotfl:

She sounds like a very clever wee girl, they often do things like that.
I hope you find a solution.

maybe if the teached didn't call her name out? she would ask why?

:D I had a huge smile on my face when I typed that answer too - thinking she sounds just like my niece, who is (don't tell anyone :shhh: ) the favourite of my nieces and nephews because she just has this amazing spirit :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back