• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Moving from cot to bed

maybebaby

Reaction score
At what age should you move a toddler from a cot to a bed? DS will be 21 months when the new baby's born, so I'm trying to decide at the moment whether to buy a cot bed and keep him in the cot for a bit longer, or to move him to a junior bed around September time.

I don't want him to feel like he's been moved out of the cot to make room for the new baby, so if he stays in a cot he'll probably have to stay in one for a good few months after the baby's born. Also buying just a bed is obviously cheaper than buying a cot bed!

So I guess I'm asking if it's better to move him into the bed at 18/19 months, or 28/29 months? When did your LO make the move, and do you still think it was the right decision?

Last edited:
Lydia moved from cot to toddler bed when she was 22 months old. She settled into it brilliantly from day one.
She was in it from about 2 weeks before Alex was born, and we moved house at that time too so she associated it more with moving house and getting her own bedroom rather than connecting it to Alex being born.

Lucy was in her bed from just under 2, basically once we were happy that she could get in and out ok. We tried her in it for her few afternoon sleeps and she did so well we just started to put her in it at night.

If I were you I think I'd give him a go in a bed, I can't see him having any major problems in it and if you do it a few months before the baby is born then he won't associate his change with the baby.

this is a good question- Hayden has a junior bed and its actually set up in his room now- my only issue with putting him in it is that when he wakes up in the morning all hyper- is he gonna wreak havoc if i don't wake up immediately? i mean if he wakes up and doesnt have to call to me because he doesn't need to be lifted out of his cot..he might think hmm i have free run of the house..what can i wreck?
he can open doors..so no use keeping any shut-lol!

Well there is that wonderful new stage where they can start coming into your room to wake you instead of shouting for you!!

We were quite lucky in that it took Lucy a long time to get the confidence to get out of bed if one of us didn't go get her but once she did it was just the same as teaching them any other rules. They stay in bed till you're ready to get up and if they don't like it then tough. Although it might not be as simple as that to get them to listen to you! :lol:

lol- i don't think he would come in to wake me thats the problem-
he is stewie from family guy...he only calls me so he can be lifted out,
and i bet he's calling me "vile woman" in his head!!
i reckon he'll just roam the house destroying stuff! like a mini hurricane!!

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Ha-ha now that could be interesting!! Wake up one morning to find your house wrecked! Or you could be surprised and he might make you breakfast or something lol!

There's only one way to find out though - try him! (Good luck)

We transferred Gabs cot into the bed last week.

She was always in a grobag before and I was worried about getting rid of this; so for the past month I had been using a light quilt on her to see how she got on.

Last week we stayed at our friends and Gabs slept in their sons bed and slept amazingly; that's what made us decide to move her into her bed.
We do have a bed guard on though; just in case.

The past day she has realised that she can get up and this morning I heard her playing with all her toys :D So cute and so grown up!

Gabs was just short of 21 months when we transferred into the bed :D

Thanks for your replies. I'm leaning towards moving him before the baby comes...

Fran how about putting a stairgate in his bedroom doorway? That way he can play in his bedroom, and if he wants out he'll have to shout you so you'll wake up.

We moved Harrisons cot into a bed last Tuesday as the week before he had started to climb up and lean over so he fell out and I was getting worried he would hurt himself. He has been a nightmare though :oops: he will go down fine but a little while later he gets up and stands at the gate calling us and playing with his toys, I think I've been up more times in the past week than I did when he was first born :oops: lol :lol:

maybebaby said:
Thanks for your replies. I'm leaning towards moving him before the baby comes...

Fran how about putting a stairgate in his bedroom doorway? That way he can play in his bedroom, and if he wants out he'll have to shout you so you'll wake up.

Gabs has a stairgate across her bedroom door as she is a floor above us and I was worried about her coming down the stairs :D

We just have a stairgate at the top of the stairs

although it does no good now because she's been able to open it for months. We wake up sometimes and find her downstairs playing with toys lol - or raiding the cereal cupboard :shock: :lol:

i think i have a demon toddler- thanks for the stairgate idea,
it is good he can open the one i have on the stairs..i'll have to get a new more complicated one! lol..most adults that come round can't work
my stairgate :rotfl: :rotfl:
yeah i'm gonna try him in the bed tonight :)
only question now is- where to home all the teddies on his bed :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariyadavis
Back