Midwives

DaisieBee

Reaction score
Have a bit of a problem and wanted some advice please:

I originally booked in with a lady called Elaine, she is a retired midwife and deals with all the booking ins in our village. She is lovely and I felt able to be really open with her. She is very motherly and just what I wanted from a midwife. However, she is semi-retired and no longer a practicing midwife.
I met my midwife at 12 weeks and really dont like her. She isnt horrible, but she is young, very dimissive and made me feel rushed, so much so I didnt ask what I had intended to. Also, I had put on 5 pounds at that point, and when I asked if this was normal was told that I shouldnt have put on that much and that I was obviously eating too much and taking advantae of being pregnant, which wasnt true and really upset me.
For my 16 week check up I was told my midwife could only do Tuesdays. As had just started new job I persuaded them to let me see Elaine on another day, and had a lovely appointment. She told me weight was perfect but not to stress over it and left me feeling really positive.
The problem is, what do I do now? Elaine is only meant to book people in, dont think she will help me. Dont want to see midwife really as really like other lady, do you think its worth asking? Worried that I will ask and be turned down and this will make things worse with current midwife. Am I being silly, and should I just go with who I have been given and get over it?

You shouldn't really have to just 'settle' for maternity care that you're not happy with but at the same time I can see that this is a difficult situation because you don't want things to be awkward.

I personally would probably see this midwife a couple more times and see if you warm to her. It may be that she didn't mean to come across the way she did and might be more friendly once she gets to know you a bit better.

If this other lady is retired, you might not have much luck with trying to get her to see you for your antenatal appointments... is there no way you can have your maternity care at another GP where it's a different midwife?

DaisieBee said:
Also, I had put on 5 pounds at that point, and when I asked if this was normal was told that I shouldnt have put on that much and that I was obviously eating too much and taking advantae of being pregnant, which wasnt true and really upset me.
quote]

She probably meant this as a joke/to be light-hearted but I know that when your hormones are all over the place it's difficult not to take it personally.

Hope you manage to work something out, chick and that this isn't causing you too much stress :hug:

can u not get your care done at ur local ante natel clinic chick????

I don't even bother with my community midwife now! I just make appointments at the antenatal clinic at the my local hospital and they still do my BP and everything else, plus last time I got to hear little one's heartbeat! :D Don't settle for a midwife you're not happy with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back