Midwife issues-advice needed

Mrs_B1981

Reaction score
Hi Girls,

Kinda need your help.

I have been merrily bimbling along through my pregnancy and doing as Im told and reading the books and just generally none the wiser to what should be happening from a Midwife point of view!

This is my first baby. I have met a community midwife at my booking in appt at 9 weeks and thats it!

When I had my 12 week scan baby wouldnt lie right so i had to go and have bloods and counselling for the Downs Syndrome testing. This counselling was given by a midwife who i havent seen again since. Well I havent seen anyone since! I have been sent a GTT appt and an appt to see an Anaesthetist just incase i need a C-Section, but thats it.

Im 23 weeks and I have no idea who my midwife is, I have only wee'd in a pot once and Ive been told by a colleague who is on her 2nd baby that I should be getting far more input than that from my Midwife.

Is this true-have i completely missed the boat or does it depend on the Hospital Trust on how much input you get?

Also, on a completely different subject, does anyone feel like Baby is goin to poke their foot out of your lady bits when they wriggle? Its the wierdest sensation, not sure i like it!! :oooo:

Firstly im not quite sure about the councilling and app with anaesthetist or gtt app - havent heard of that before!

I know the midwife involvement differs in different areas and even different doctors surgery but im pretty sure you should have had more input from a midwife?

At my doctors surgery they have 2 midwifes and i was told i might not always see the same one but so far ive seen the same lady 3 times and i have my next appt with her in a couple of weeks. Ive had my urine checked 3 times and we are meeting to discuss my birth plan etc at my next appt.

Hope that helps! Id probably call your gp and enquire? x

Apart from my scans & GTT test recently, all my midwife appointments are in the community (GP surgery) and it's my responsibility to book them myself - I wonder if this is the same for you? I was only made aware of this recently after having missed my 22 week appt and almost missed my 25 week appt! It says in my maternity record book at what stage appointments would be i.e how many weeks preg, but like you, I assumed they would be at the hospital and booked for me - it's only when I spoke to the hospital that they told me it was through GP and I needed to book them!! So def check this out with your GP based midwife xx

Oh yeah and I have never seen the same midwife twice either - think thats the norm really! x

oh and havent you had a 20 week scan?? x

Hello Mrs B, I am in the exact same boat as you. Left a post earlier with a bit of a rant. Im 24weeks, I have seen one midwife at booking and then diff midwife at 16weeks. I'm now meant to see my gp at 25 weeks...rang yesterday to make an appt and was told by receptionist "that we do not deal with antenatal" Strange but fair enough I thought...rang my hosp (Queen Charlottes-W.London) to be told very rudely to "have it out with my GP" -NO help whatsoever...I feel very very unsupported and totally don't know where I stand...everyone I've asked thought It was strange that I wouldn't be seeing a midwife and basically wont see untill baby arrives! I've been very emotional and I suffer with depression so I feel so up and down. I was also told that because I'm a young mum (I'm 22) that a Midwife would call me to have like a mentor type support esp..as I have depression. Not one call, could do with having a named person on the end of the phone just for peace of mind! Anyway my lovely mum called the docs as I was so upset with going back and forth and GP has agreed to see me next week, apparently there is "lack of communication" but I'm thinking, its says on my schedule so surely they must be aware that the hosp are sending mums to be to their gps? Anyway I've decided to move after I see doc to one nearer my new home...only stayed there as i've been going since I can remember? Any other ladies have oppionions on this xxx

Ive only seen a midwife twice. Dont see one again until the end of jan when i will be 23 weeks. I also see a different midwife each time. I will also be seeing a doctor twice but thats only cos i have a certain blood type which will require injections. x

I think Im going to ring my GP in the morning and find out what I should do.
Ive had my 20 week scan at 22 weeks and that was it. I didnt see a midwife or anyone afterwards as everything was ok on the scan.

Eilish, keep your mum on the case. From what the other girls have said it does seem to be the GP midwifes responsibilty to keep an ear on you. Dont be suprised at the lack of communication in the NHS, Im a nurse in the NHS and there's lack of communication wherever you work, not acceptable but unfortunately the norm :(

I've only saw a midwife twice so far and again at 22 weeks, if you are having no problems with ur pregnancy you wnt see them much untill the last two months :)

I have only seen my midwife twice and it was different ones both times. Even when i called several times regarding a problem i had, each time it was a different women i spoke too. I had an appointment at 8 weeks then at 17 weeks, don't have another one until 24 weeks. In that time I've had 2 scans, one was a dating scan and the 2nd was the 12 week scan, both these were at the hosptial. I've another one on the 2nd of Feb. The midwife said that I wouldn't need to see a gp unless I had any problems. No idea why you are getting counselling for the Downs Syndrome testing? that is a new one

I am meant to have the same midwife, but she CONSTANTLY takes holidays, and I mean like every two weeks! Every time I phone its shes on holiday so its a fill in midwife etc etc, and I know shes not ill cause I see her at zumba! So do you not phone up to your gp and book your appointments? I need to anyway, 1 every 6 weeks the now (due to change to every 4 weeks I think) I need to book my own appointment everytime, and this week she is fully booked... so I need to wait an extra week!

my midwife usually book my next appointment at the appointment and writes it in the book for me :). saves a lot of hassle!

i saw my midwife at booking in appt, 16w, 23ish weeks 28w and i have my next at 31w between the 2nd and 3rd visit it does seem like forever but after that they should be ecery 4-3w

Apart from my scans & GTT test recently, all my midwife appointments are in the community (GP surgery) and it's my responsibility to book them myself - I wonder if this is the same for you? I was only made aware of this recently after having missed my 22 week appt and almost missed my 25 week appt! It says in my maternity record book at what stage appointments would be i.e how many weeks preg, but like you, I assumed they would be at the hospital and booked for me - it's only when I spoke to the hospital that they told me it was through GP and I needed to book them!! So def check this out with your GP based midwife xx

Hey hun sounds like my experience a littlem we have community midwifes here and basically you see someone not def the same person and its my responsibilty to book the appointments!! My team of midwifes basically go to my local surgery once a week for 3 hours and I gotta try fir in with that! X

I've got a piece of paper in my notes that has boxes for apps next to each appointmet i'm supposed to have. My Midwife sorts everything out for me!! She even requested my 20 scan app for me, at least she said she has but I haven't actually had the letter yet?!

You're defo supposed to be seen alot more hun! Give your maternity ward a call and see what they say.

xxx

I think they have withdrawn a lot of the visits etc that they used to have.

I became pregnant at the end of 2006. I had a blood test every few weeks, urine tested every few weeks, and saw the midwife at a room at the surgery frequently.

I then had the community midwife get in touch. I always saw the same two midwives, one at surgery, one at the groups at the childrens centre.

Second time, I wasn't in Cheltenham anymore, was in Gloucester. Saw the same midwife, she'd come to visit me sometimes too. And my doc was a great support, specially when I lost him.

Last time, same midwife. But I moved, and I lost baby too, so can't comment...

THIS time, which is going well (fingers crossed), despite health probs, I've had one blood test and a few meetings and I've a midwife who visits me because of mental health (is nice, saves me going somewhere) and then there's the scans. I think I can ask to see someone from my special midwife team more often if I want.

I was surprised this time, but I've already been told they don't listen for the heartbeat much now and I've not had the height of my fundus checked.

BUT if it's your first, you are supposed to be monitored more - as there's no previous experience to go by.

Two of you are from London and are experiencing the same problem. My third pregnancy was in Aldershot, but I've not gone through this in London. But I remember when I lived in London, I hadn't a clue who my doctor was and the whole health care thing felt distant.

I'd badger them a whole load and remind them it's your first baby and you know you are supposed to be seen more often - I was always told when I needed to make the next appointment for.

Oh, and I apologise if I'm babbling more than usual or if I get incoherent, I'm suffering from exhaustion apparently and my mind is still in bed! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maegan
Back