midwife home visit

scottishterrier

Reaction score
my midwife is coming to my house tomorrow morning and i was just wondering other than questions about health etc what else will be involved?
i expected bloods to be taken at somepoint but as she didnt take any in the surgery last week and i doubt she will do it at home when will it happen?

Hi there,

When my midwife came to see me at home she did the usual medical history questions. She asked me also where i wanted to give birth, but this was not a final decision i can change my mind. She took blood and urine samples from me.
She explained all the different tests that would be available to me and also explained that my care would be split between her and the doctor and planned out roughly when i would be due to make appointments with them.

Hope this helps

That is exactly what i thought, i could not look while she was doing it. I had never had any blood taken before. But it didnt hurt thank god for that.

Personally, I like having blood taken from my hand, instead of inner elbow area. I find it's less squishy, and they don't probe as much.

Maybe consider it?

I'm not having my bloods done until my next appointment with the midwife at 16 weeks, it depends on where you live I think.

Good luck for tomorrow :D

OingoZoingo said:
Personally, I like having blood taken from my hand, instead of inner elbow area. I find it's less squishy, and they don't probe as much.

Maybe consider it?

OMG - is it really much better?! Eeeeeek I HATE having blood taken and anything that made it better would be nice

x

Tillytots said:
OingoZoingo said:

Maybe consider it?

OMG - is it really much better?! Eeeeeek I HATE having blood taken and anything that made it better would be nice

x

I have had it done that way a few times, but not all the nurses I went to would do it that way. They seem to think it as a rather weird request. It's worth asking up about.

I find that the pain is a lot different. It's more a solid OW pain than the kind that grosses you out and makes you nervous. Plus, I can hold my hand further away from my body, so it doesn't make me feel like they're getting in my space and that I have a little more control.

I have a very high pain tolerance though, I like raw better than uncomfortable pain... if you get what I mean? :lol: I dunno, I'm rambling.

Yeah Tiff, i have a major fear of needles and ALWAYS faint after bloods!
they find it hard to get a vein on me for some reason so usually end up jabbing me all over.

im kinda looking foward to seeing her but gonna have to clean through the nausia in the morning lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back