• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Midwife at 26 weeks question

saz-jay

Reaction score
I have a midwifes appt on march 3rd, now aswell as the usual checking BP, checking pee, taking bloods and listening to babys heartbeat, does the midwife start to "measure" baby, to check shes growing as she should? Because my bump is manily under my belly button and small ish (people dont believe i'm 25 weeks pregnant....though i'll no doubt fill out as all thoese cream cakes will have to go somewhere :lol: ) how will she be able to measure her growth?

Hiya :wave:
Yeah they do.
Iv been havening measurments taken at midwife opointments since I was 25 weeks :)
They just get a tape measure and measure from under your ribs to like the bottom of your tummy when your laying down :)

I feel the bump, and then measure from the top of it down to the pubic bone. The average growth is 1 cm per week of pregnancy. So if you are quite tall, or have a long torso, it is fine that the bump hasn't got as high as your belly button yet. The main thing the midwife will be checking is that there is a steady growth between each check.

Aw thanks Jazz, ive always wondered where they measure from :) I might ask why my bump hasn't moved up more (visualy past belly button), unless my lil girl is just squashed up and dosen't feel like stretching out yet :)

curlygurl said:
I feel the bump, and then measure from the top of it down to the pubic bone. The average growth is 1 cm per week of pregnancy. So if you are quite tall, or have a long torso, it is fine that the bump hasn't got as high as your belly button yet. The main thing the midwife will be checking is that there is a steady growth between each check.

Thanks Curly. I'm 5'6 so average height, but at my 21 week scan she was growing as she should so i imagine shes not stretched out yet. I think its just starting to go above my belly button now, feels hard about an inch or so above it, she maybe its happening slooooowly :)

And if she is laying sideways you won't measure as tall. Hopefully your midwife will be nice and reassuring.

And don't forget to ask for your Health in Pregnancy Grant form as your are now able to apply for this :dance: . You won't get the money until April, but if you get the form signed and sent in now, hopefully you won't have to wait too long for it.

curlygurl said:
And if she is laying sideways you won't measure as tall. Hopefully your midwife will be nice and reassuring.

Oh thanks, i was wondering how it would be done as i think shes all squashed under my belly button, but i'm sure the midwife will know how to measure her even if she is squashed. :D

curlygurl said:
And don't forget to ask for your Health in Pregnancy Grant form as your are now able to apply for this :dance: . You won't get the money until April, but if you get the form signed and sent in now, hopefully you won't have to wait too long for it.

Oh i will, thanks for reminding me :D

i was always small with DS but they still measured me and recorded it to make sure it was still growing even if measuring smaller if you get me. i never looked very pregnant and i don't now but when i lie down i do have a bump or a swelling in my abdomen something to measure i suppose!!

rusks said:
i was always small with DS but they still measured me and recorded it to make sure it was still growing even if measuring smaller if you get me. i never looked very pregnant and i don't now but when i lie down i do have a bump or a swelling in my abdomen something to measure i suppose!!

Yeah when i lie down theres definate bumpage aswell.....it weird, i thought bump would show more when standing upright :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back