Men B Vaccine - availability

kitten2014

Reaction score
Hi All, asked ages ago about Men B vaccine and were told there was a national shortage for private supply (born before May 2015) so put ourselves on loads of waiting lists...finally had Boots come back to us but due to the fact they do injection in arm not thigh cant do before aged 2, need to check our local docs again to see if they also have access to more of it but now wondering on whether or not we should as have heard stories of kids getting it due to the vaccine but also plenty of stories of kids getting it before getting the jab...so hard to decide....we got all the first boosters as believed in those being important but just not sure with Men B...
Anyone else in same dilemma or have stories to tell/advice to give on the subject?

Hi my daughter is only 7weeks but when it comes to it she will be having the vaccine. I'd hate for to catch it and I'd chosen not to give the jab. I know others who have paid for it and there kids have been. I guess with anything there's a risk. Also if they was to catch it before being vaccinated what can you do?

Well annoyingly have to wait til she's 2 with boots vaccine but hoping if ring local practice they also have some stock in too...

Hi, I've looked into it, my daughter was born Dec 2014 and my son March 2016 so he has had it and she hasn't. I can't stand the thought of him being protected and not her. I'm up in Scotland and have found a local private place who will do it before age 2 and its three injections at £150 an injection or Boots after age 2 with two injections at £95 each. She is 19 months so I think we'll just be waiting until she is 2 and probably enough stock to be offered it. I haven't heard any stories of people catching it x

I too received the email from Boots and was a bit annoyed when it said the child had to be 2 or over ( my daughter will be 2 in Dec).
Im seeing the GP on Friday so will mention it to him then.

I don't see how they can get it from the vaccine because it's not a live vaccine.

We had our email from boots awhile ago and my son has already had the first jab. He was absolutely fine with the exception of a slightly raised temperature.

My daughter has had it as part of the nhs immunisation programme and again just had a slight temperature after each of hers

Edit: also been told by my gp's surgery that the nhs have instructed all gp's that they are not to give the jab outside of the standard immunisation programme, so it is highly unlikely that your local practise would do it for you, I would expect that they will refer you back to the private route

Last edited:
thanks guys, also on waiting list for private and last I spoke to them we were no 17 once stocks had been replenished so just waiting for a call...

My almost 3 year old is having it at Boots tomorrow. And same as Pumpkin, I can't see how they can get it from the vaccine. Is someone scaremongering you?

To me, there was no option. I can't stand the idea that my baby was covered whilst my big boy wasn't. The Boots one is £190 for all treatment. Xxx

No but I know some vaccines are live viruses so just wanted to be sure first. I agree that its best to have it than not just gotto wait and see...

ok just spoke with citydoc and she's booked in bless her, 1 inj now, 1 in 2mths then a year later, £130 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back