Medical records

x-kirsty-x

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I have a right to view Ryans medical notes from when he was born up until he left hospital? While he was in there one of the nurses left them on the bed and I managed to have a quick look through but I noticed alot of stuff they'd written that they hadnt talked to me about.

I asked them if I was allowed to view them and they said only if I asked for consent and then paid. Surely Im allowed to see my own sons notes? I just really want to get my head round everything that went on just so I can understand it all.

Thats strange I got given mine
when i went home but the health visitor eventually took them

You are allowed full access (upon request) to your medical file and that of a child under a certain age (can't remember the age but guessing 2 weeks old is still under the age limit!! Hehehe) Anyway sadly a lot of times they will make you pay to see the full records. Different areas/surgeries tend to operate a different policy. My best advice is to call your health centre tomorrow morning and say you have concerns and wish to see the notes - take their advice on their practice policy but don't take "no you can't" as the answer you do have a legal right to see them but the way in which you get to see them tends to differ.

Becks, I got given my own maternity notes which have a little bit of information in about Ryan but at the hospital he had a massive thick folder with loads of stuff in. Thats what I wanna see. They said they never kept any secrets from me but when I asked about the notes they got all defensive and asked me why I wanted to see them :?

lol i dunno then but i should think u r definately allowed 2 c them!!

You are allowed yes, the NHS have a leaflet on requesting access to them but expect to pay an administration fee

Hun I think that you have a right to see the info cos the freedom of information act which came about in 2005, below is a quote off the website about it:

The FOI gives you the right to ask any public body for all the information they have on any subject you choose. Also, unless there’s a good reason, the organisation must provide the information within a month. You can also ask for all the personal information they hold on you.

I would push it further hun

Xxx

You are hun - write to the records office at your hospital, there will be an admin charge (for me it was £25) and you should get them within a month of asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back