Mayonnaise argument....

bumpmakes3

Reaction score
Hiya all :wave:

Currently having an argument about whether mayonnaise is safe for mums-to-be. I know it's on the don't eat list but I thought that was only fresh home-made mayonnaise because it has raw eggs in. As far as I was aware stuff in jars like hellmans is fine.

What's the answer??

I'm sure the shop bought stuff is totally safe.
It's just home made you should avoid.
I normally give mayo a miss when I'm eating out just in case it has been home made, unlikely I know, but you never know

Hellman's and other shop bought mayonnaise is absolutely fine as it used pasturised eggs.

Home-made mayonnaise will use raw, uncooked eggs, so is potentially unsafe. :)

I thought it was just home made stuff, i have still be eating it from the shop though x

You are right. It is only homemade stuff you need to worry about. the shop bought stuff is fine. So you can tell the person you are arguing with :moon:

I've been eating Hellman's all through my pregnancy without problems :)

Mice_Elf said:
Hellman's and other shop bought mayonnaise is absolutely fine as it used pasturised eggs.

Home-made mayonnaise will use raw, uncooked eggs, so is potentially unsafe. :)

Yep that's right. Same with cheesecake, creme brulee etc.

Yep, Shop bought is ok. Avoid homemade. xxx

I loved dipping carrot sticks in mayonnaise during my early pregnancy mmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

my midwife said as long as the eggs are well cooked when they make mayonaise its fine. she told me that hellmans is one of the types of mayonaise that makes sure the eggs are well cooked x

Shop bought (Hellman's etc) = fine!
Homemade = A big no-no!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back