• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Marriage in the US

bobby1

Reaction score
hey,

me and OH have decided to get married before the LO arrives :D we were going to anyway but not til next year! given the fact his parents live in the states, we have decided to get married over there. I'm a bit confuzzled on the process as we are both UK citizens.

has anyone got married in the states? I would be grateful for any information from people with personal experience. I called up the US embassy and got some information. Does anyone know how its validated here? experiences from anyone else who got married abroad would be great!

Christina

Hi it depends what state you are getting married in.

We got married in Nevada and had to obtain a marriage licence from the courthouse before we could get married we then took that to the church and gave it to the reverend who then gave us our marriage cert after the ceremony. He also registered the ceremony with the courthouse for us afterwards.

We had booked the acual church etc from the UK a few months in advance and got the licence when we were there.

To obtain the licence we had to provide id ie, a passport and pay some money we also had to sign a declaration saying neither of us were married and that was it. I think depending on what state it is you may need to be in the country for a few days before you can get your licence.

If you google the locl courthouses for whatever location, it may be able to tell you.

To be honest the whole process was very simple and we didn't need to register it in the UK, the appropriate authorities accepted my US marriage cert to change my name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back