Man thought to be in coma for 23 years was actually conscious....

Tonks

Reaction score
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/23/man-trapped-coma-23-years

Just read about a similar case in The Week magazine. Basically this man was in a car accident, and was paralysed all over his body but he was still fully conscious and knew everything that was going on around him. He just couldn't communicate to anyone.

The story I read in The Week was about a man who suffered from a brain lesion and each body part became paralysed until he couldn't move any muscle in his body, or open his eyes. Doctors diagnosed him as in a coma/vegetative state with very little brain activity and he was put on life support. However he was conscious the whole time, and felt and heard everything doctors were doing to him. He made a full recovery due to his treatment after about a year.

So scary that people can be misdiagnosed like that :shock:

I read that article too. So, so scary. It is my idea of hell. I bet the nurses who treated them are wondering if they said anything bad now!!!

:shock: Scary that they can get it so wrong... and for such a long time! I'm sure he's relieved that they found out he'd been conscious but how awful that he's lost so many years of his life :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back