Looking for Childcare

moss

Reaction score
So... I am STILL looking for childcare. I have made so many phone calls and written so many emails today. Everyone is full! In the odd chance someone with a vacancy gets back to me, what kind of questions should I ask?

At this point I feel like I may be forced to quit uni. There are just no vacancies here!

Last edited:
all the childminders I visited had a kind of prospectus which had info about meals, naps, what they normally do during the day, as well as policies on illness and health and safety so that helped! I asked about activities and stuff but mostly just chatted to get an idea of the person. One thing to maybe ask about is holidays and stuff - some want paid during holidays and some don't. Mine has school age kids so needs to take her holidays when the schools do, which suits me but maybe not everyone. Have you looked at the childcare section of netmums? Sometimes vacancies are advertised there. I really hope you find someone!

Thanks! I am nervous to start visiting (if I ever get to that stage) because I have no idea what to expect... I do know babies should be in seperate rooms if it is a nursery, but not what age they ideally go to the next room, etc. I have looked at Netmums and also posted a want ad, but nothing. I guess I should become a childminder here... I would fill up instantly!

Check about cloth too - some places might not want to use cloth nappies.

Both of the places we went to see hadn't had any experience with cloth but had no problems with it as long as I trained the staff :lol:

I use a childminder, she's on a website which lists all registered and up to date childminders with a brief description of themselves and their life. I also knew her anyway but she knows all the childminders in my area and can recommend ones on the days she cant take DD.

If your interested in a childminder just ringing one may be enough to help you get an idea of who's got spaces. Problem is they can only take one under one at a time so obviously they fill up quickly.

I've had her name down for UNI nursery since september and she's still not been offered a place.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back